Sign in to follow this  
TIMMYP

Front Subframe

Hello i have a H reg 1.8 16v Corrado which has just failed its MOT on a lot of things most of which minor, but i am a bit stumped on the front subframe as it has a small rusted bit and i am told it cant be welded. Can you still buy subframes new? can i use one from a golf MK1, 2, 3? any help would be greatfully recieved as i am a bit behind on completing it for run to the sun in 2 weeks! :scratch:

Hi Timmy,

Are you referring to the K shaped main engine subframe or the beam at the front which has the front engine mount on?

I refer to the K-shaped bit as the engine subframe and the front mount beam as the cross-member (like VW states) but a lot of people call the K-shaped part the REAR subframe and the front beam the FRONT subframe.

very confusing!

Hello i have a H reg 1.8 16v Corrado which has just failed its MOT on a lot of things most of which minor, but i am a bit stumped on the front subframe as it has a small rusted bit and i am told it cant be welded. Can you still buy subframes new? can i use one from a golf MK1, 2, 3? any help would be greatfully recieved as i am a bit behind on completing it for run to the sun in 2 weeks! :scratch:

why cant the subframe be welded then :scratch:

i've been told that your not allowed to weld them by the garage who mot'd it, is this wrong, as if it is it would be great as it is only a small hole in it about the sized of a 10p and welding would be much easier than changing it.

VERY CONFUSED :confused4: :brickwall:

you are allowd to weld subframes

so in a nut shell they are wrong i have welded a lot of subframes in the last 20 yrs , and i also mot cars so i am not just telling you this for the sake of something to do (thats not a dig ) so go back and ask them why? good luck as some testers act like little hitlers , the little bit of authourity goes right to there heads . :salute:

oh yeah ask him to show you in the testers manual were it says you cant weld a subframe.

its says you cant apply accessive heat to a steering component and any evidence of this should be failed,

but just because a subframe is in the manual under steering and suspension does not make it a steering component.

G. Suspension Arms and Linkages, Sub-Frames, etc

Carrying out this inspection

The inspections in sub-section 2.4G can be carried out in conjunction with the inspections in

. Sub-section 2.5 (Front Suspension, Front Wheel Bearings and Drive Shafts), and

. Sub-section 2.6 (Rear Suspension and Rear Wheel Bearings)

1. Check the following members for cracks, fractures, distortion, corrosion, wear and insecurity

a. suspension arms (wishbone etc) 1. A member

. cracked, fractured or insecure

. severely distorted

. seriously weakened by corrosion or wear

. which is adjustable, and is loose in its adjustment threads, or its locking device insecure or missing

. inadequately repaired (See Appendix C)

. seriously weakened as a result of deliberate modification

b. trailing arms

c. radius arms

d. tie bars/rods

e. panhard rods

f. torque/reaction arms

g. anti-roll bars and linkages

h. MacPherson strut casings

i. sub-frames

Note: Some vehicles use comparatively thin gauge steel pressings for some highly stressed suspension components.

Many of these parts have hollow