Sign in to follow this  
til2143

H&R springs with standard shocks?

I wouldn't - the H&R springs are shorter, so you'll get a pretty crashy ride and probably bottom out the shocks and kill them fairly quickly.

If you're wanting to do it because you can't afford Konis at the moment, it's a bit of a false economy because you'll need a 4-wheel alignment after doing each one which is usually at least £50 a pop. If you're paying a garage to do the job, the additional labour for fitting the shocks at the same time as the springs is nil, but it'll cost you the whole amount twice to do them as 2 separate excercises...

The blue 4 cyl H&R's are actually designed for OE shocks, this is what I am planning to stick on the TDI for a good daily ride quality

I wouldn't - the H&R springs are shorter, so you'll get a pretty crashy ride and probably bottom out the shocks and kill them fairly quickly.

If you're wanting to do it because you can't afford Konis at the moment, it's a bit of a false economy because you'll need a 4-wheel alignment after doing each one which is usually at least £50 a pop. If you're paying a garage to do the job, the additional labour for fitting the shocks at the same time as the springs is nil, but it'll cost you the whole amount twice to do them as 2 separate excercises...

Cheers, na its not the money, its just im trying to lower my vr by about 30mm without altering the ride, any advise would be great :help:

The blue 4 cyl H&R's are actually designed for OE shocks, this is what I am planning to stick on the TDI for a good daily ride quality

Thats sounds good :)

you're trying to lower your car without lowering the ride height?

Surely that's a contradiction in terms?

I've always imagined the arch gap and actual ride height of the car to be things that go hand in hand really....

I have H&Rs on my 16v and the ride quality is excellent although its a little high. They have been on a year and reckon I need to replace the shocks now but thats probably down to them being old. The boge gas shocks sold by GFS are pretty good.