Sign in to follow this  
endor71

Strut Brace

Is there a difference in the golf mk2 and Corrado strut tops ?

I ask because I offered a golf one up and all seemed to fit apart from there is a small bolt sticking up from my top mounts which fouls where the brace would go on.

:?

I was given a VR strut brace for my car and it fitted ok apart from it hitting a little stud as well. I didn't take it because of this but, in hindsight I probably should have taken it and made it fit.

Strut braces are not precision components, so if you can fit the brace on with a few little mods then its ok (As long as it still looks good).

I was given a VR strut brace for my car and it fitted ok apart from it hitting a little stud as well. I didn't take it because of this but, in hindsight I probably should have taken it and made it fit.

Strut braces are not precision components, so if you can fit the brace on with a few little mods then its ok (As long as it still looks good).

And there was me thinking that a strut brace is to prevent the suspension turrets from flexing rather than looking good :shock: :lol: :wink:

Apparently the studs are locators for something to do with ABS and can be got rid of if you don't have it (usually later vr6's have it) if this is the case can I just hacksaw them off?? :shock:

Apparently the studs are locators for something to do with ABS and can be got rid of if you don't have it (usually later vr6's have it) if this is the case can I just hacksaw them off?? :shock:

Drill the holes in the strut brace mount for the bolt to go through rather than just cut them off

Is it just me Nigel, or does it seem to bend slightly at the right hand side (as you look at it)?

Did you see a noticeable improvement in handling after fitting the braces?

Is it just me Nigel, or does it seem to bend slightly at the right hand side (as you look at it)?

Did you see a noticeable improvement in handling after fitting the braces?

The Strut braces were on the C when i got it, the car is very stiff and you can really throw it around!!

And yes that is water on the C, its raining here tonight!! :lol:

endor71, Hi Chris, G60Jet's first & last pix show the ABS cable attachment point on the RH top mount. Since you don't have abs you can take the studs off, thou' as he suggests use that point for one of the strut fixings. I'll probably be up at Pod on sunday with the VR so you can have a butchers at 'em then if u want

2cc Thanks will probably be there to see the VR in action :)

Will have to have another look at car with strut brace offered up to see if I can work around the studs.

g60 jet just how many supercharged badges do you have on your car??? lol

One and thats under the bonnet, 3 if you count the G60 ones too

i have an eibach strut brace on my 16v, got it from demon tweeks about 18 months ago. i had to remove the studs on my inner strut tops (got the grinder out). just beware that there is very little clearance (i.e. none!) if you have the earlier spec bonnet.

jim (would post pictures if i was clever enough)