Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

MOT'er has got my goat up

My C failed it's MOT on the following:-

Both headlights poorly aligned ---------------------------yup fair enough

Both headlights have poor light output------------------yup the rear reflectors are shot

N/S rear handbrake poor to nill efficiency--------------typical but i reckon he meant to say offside (he makes this mistake often)

o/s front arch liner fouling front wheel on full lock-----yup was two screws missing

Front brake pads less than 1.5mm thickness------------what a load of b*ll*cks

So after forking out for a set of Mintex brake pads i remove the old ones to find that the most worn pad was still 5mm thick.

Rather cheesed off and will be shoving the old pads where the sun doesn't shine when i take the car back for a retest.

the pads have to be nearly to metal to fail on that,show them to the NT and make a point. im a tester myself and they have to be fucked to fail on that(you cant see the full pad most of the time!)

im a Vag friendly tester... :tongue:

you cant see the full pad most of the time!

As soon as he mentioned about the pad thickness i thought.... he must have eyesight like superman to see that.

i mot cars also and most cars you cant see the pads on properly , you dont just guess , its as bad to fail something that doesnt need doing as missing something that does in V.O.S.A. s eyes , just for the hell of it ask him what device he used to measure the pads with :grin:

I'd rather know if my pads are about to wear out and 5mm from 19.6mm sounds like they are below the wear limit (without checking)

Also, if the piston comes out to far you can damage the dust seal.

I'd rather know if my pads are about to wear out and 5mm from 19.6mm sounds like they are below the wear limit (without checking)

5mm is approx. half worn.....i've yet to see any pads that are 19.6mm thickwhen new :scratch:

thats a fair comment but its not the testers place to fail them unless there 1.5mm or below , if he had been a good guy he would have put an advisory notice on them drawing atention to them that way but he had no right to fail them

the test is only good for the day it is also way way down from a service as a service is to get any car as close to new as possible , but an mot is just a bare minimum , its all wrong but true im affraid, its the goverment again :cuckoo:

5mm is approx. half worn.....i've yet to see any pads that are 19.6mm thickwhen new :scratch:

sorry mate loads of pads on the market are 19mm at least, 5mm is nearly stuffed if it was a service on a car with 5mm left on the pads they would be replaced.

sorry mate loads of pads on the market are 19mm at least, 5mm is nearly stuffed if it was a service on a car with 5mm left on the pads they would be replaced.

The minimum figure given for Golf and Corrado pads is 7mm including the backing.

Now the figures i quote do not include the backing.

]

The minimum figure given for Golf and Corrado pads is 7mm including the backing.

Now the figures i quote do not include the backing.

the backing is around the 5mm so 2mm of lining left then ish best throw them in the bin get some new ones :D

the backing is around the 5mm so 2mm of lining left then ish best throw them in the bin get some new ones :D

Geeez ....it's like plucking at hairs in here sometimes

I had 5 mm plus the backing left on the pads when the tester failed it for having 1.5mm plus the backing

I had 5 mm plus the backing left on the pads when the tester failed it for having 1.5mm plus the backing

who cares about the backing all i said is at 5mm if it was a service they would be thrown away ,if you read back through my posts i was on you side as the tester was an arse hole for failing them and he had no right to so go and ask him why the hell he did , IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ADVISORY AT THE MOST.

you were the one that said there were no pads 19.6mm as new , well there are loads .

who cares about the backing all i said is at 5mm if it was a service they would be thrown away ,if you read back through my posts i was on you side as the tester was an arse hole for failing them and he had no right to so go and ask him why the hell he did , IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ADVISORY AT THE MOST.

you were the one that said there were no pads 19.6mm as new , well there are loads .

I actually said "i've yet to see any pads that are 19.6mm thick when new :scratch:"

I'm perfectly capable of reading thank you very much.

The thickest Corrado pads I HAVE EVER SEEN are for the rear of later Corrados and are 17.5mm thick.

The fronts are usually 15 to 16mm.

well at 15mm to 16mm , 5mm is not half worn then is it and that you said , if you want to be arsey

get over it ,i did not test your car some twat that obviously thinks he has too much power for his own good did , get over it or ask him for an apeal form and stuff him properly :mad2:

i was only offering advice next time i wont bother as you new all about the mot laws and regulations any way.

15 to 16mm includes the backing.

I'm not getting arsey at all. You claim i do not read the posts correctly and i assure you i do.

15 to 16mm includes the backing.

I'm not getting arsey at all. You claim i do not read the posts correctly and i assure you i do.

right last one ,the lining is measured nothing else it does not make a shit bit of difference about the backing as far as wear is concerned , 5mm of lining should have been a pass no issue, the problem with testers like you had is they guess at it and nobody does anything about it ,make sure you ask him/her what they are going to do about it as you are not happy and you are thinking of telephoning V.O.S.A. directly to see why this happened ,because you are not happy with the car failing on something that it should not have ,see what happens.