Sign in to follow this  
robmajestix

HELP FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

Newbie in need of urgent help!

Ive just bought myself a vr6, it was running nicely BUT it now needs a new fuel pump! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a new one (id rather go new than second hand) and if i should go for an uprated one? FInally i know the hatch for it is in the boot, but is it a relatively quick and easy job, any tips would be welcomed! (im blowing the fuse for the fuel pump like theres no tommorrow!)

cheers guys!

Rob

Yep - buy new from VW, standard is fine unless you are charging it

You may need to also buy the sender unit as well depending on chassis - the dealer will tell you if you need one.

Lastly - are you sure it's the pump blowing fuses and not the lambda probe wiring mounted to the rear engine mount?

thank you mate! erm basically whats been happening (this is intermittent btw) is ill turn my ignition key, the engine starts perfectly, then literally a second later it just drops and goes dead... you can turn it over and it literally keeps doing it...its the same fuse blowing and ive got a bigger fuse in there atm (I know thats not a good thing, its supposed to be a 15, and ive got a 20 in it) the AA matey said it was probably the fuel pump playing up...wot u reckon? Thanks so much mate its really appreciated!

Rob

Yeah - does sound like the pump then as if you had a dead short in the lambda heating wires it would blow a 15 or 20 regardless I would think...

Electric pumps will draw more current as they get old / tired - take it fuel filter is ok (not ancient)

erm im not sure on the age of the fuel filter...just bought it last week lol...is there an easy way to tell? thanks a lot for ure help once again! (oh and do u reckon i can keep it going on fuses until next monday when i can get a new one..or will it probs just give up the ghost completley?)