Sign in to follow this  
Deluxe

VR6 Just wont start!

Hello!

I have a small problem, my VR has opted not to start! I think the problem is the in tank fuel pump, i'll explain...

I had noticed that the fuel pump was making a bit more noise than usual for the past month or so, whining louder.

Then today I went to leave work and alas, no start. The car didnt even prime the fuel as per norm, just turned over and over and no ignition, hence me thinking fuel pump initially.

After the checking of relays and fuses (No 12 and 18 respectively) both were deemed fit. I then checked the voltage across the pump terminals in the boot (underneath round cover with 3 screws), when i turned the key 2 clicks (usual priming time) i got 12V for a second or so. So I am left to believe that the pump if dead.

Can anybdy confirm that I have folowed a good checking procedure and come to a logical outcome? Dont want to go and buy a new pump only to find its not the cause!!

Also does anybody know of a good (i.e cheap) place to pick one up? Or does anybody have one for sale?

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated,

Nick

PS the car is a 93 K in case this has any bearing on parts!

I would say the 1 second or so power to the pump is the priming.

To me the pump will only run continuously when the engine fires.

Whats the pump doing whilst cranking?.

Have you tried bridging the fuel pump relay to see if the pump runs continuously?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna try and source a pump over the weekend, then fit it next week, I don't suppose anybody has any experience in doing this? I've had a look at how to do it, removal of the top part from the boot floor is fine, and then it looks like 3 star shape headed screws forthe pump itself. The thing is the tank is nearly full of fuel, will this be a problem, or can i just go ahead ad remove the pump?

Thanks for any answers, all help is appreciated!!

Cheers, Nick