Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Apex springs - new plates needed?

Hi All,

Fitted new struts and springs last weekend. Finished the job and all was well until the following day. The front nearside spring was making twanging noises when steering on nearly full lock. Heard a bang yesterday from that side so today I decided to take a closer look.

I can see what has happened. The spring has popped over the plate at the top. The spring diameter at the top is larger than that of the original springs so I think i may need larger plates? Ive called Euro car parts and GSF but neither do the spring plates. I expect the stealers do, but as i need larger one (i think), would I have to buy them for a different model, and fit them to my C? What is odd is that the other side seems fine!

Any suggestions?

Ive attached a few pics which hopefully show it a bit more clearly. The 3 pics are of the nearside front. Offside is still on the car and happy.

Cheers

Oh just to add. The pics are taken after I've removed the springs again and put it back together again.

May be a silly question, but is the spring on the right way round? That looks a bit dangerous to me :o

Something isn't quite right anyway, but i can't just put my finger on it..Is the seat on the correct way round? any bits missing?

I have heard of people using vr6 spring top seats on other models i think...Will have to see if someone can confirm as im not too sure.

What model corrado is it? 2.0 16v?

Neil.

Oops i didnt mention that did i?! It's a VR6. 1995 if thats helps?

Yes the springs are on the right way up. The bottom of the spring sits nicely and lined up in the shock. The top plate is the right way up too as far as i know. It came off that way up anyway. The diameter just doesn't seem large enough for these springs. But having said that, the other side im not having trouble with (famous last words!). The plate on that side is the same size too.

Thanks

Sorry mate, i can't help further...Just can't understand it, it really dosn't look right to me though.

Maybe this pic will help> Clicky here

It does list 2 different spring plates... :) number 8.

Neil.

Thanks for that Neil. I'll pop down the local stealers Monday and see what I can get/order. The spring disc/plate is about 3.5 cm in diameter. I needs at least 4.5cm to 5 cm by the looks of it. Maybe Euro car parts sold me the wrong springs? The rears are fine though, and the lower part of the front spring fits snug in the shock. The springs I took off (standard) had a smaller diameter at the top to the Apex (35mm lower) ones.

I refitted the left shock and spring after some re adjustment but I just started hearing some twanging again. booooooooooo!

I'll see what I can do. Shame I hit this snag as changing the shocks and springs all went pretty well apart from that. I'm delaying wheel alignment etc until it's all sorted!

Tell you what though, frickin nightmare getting the parcel shelf guide, speaker holder things out! (boot). Just fiddly!

Cheers

Steve

Just had a chance to do a hunt around the forum and found a useful thread:

"suspension change walkthrough/ help needed"

Looks like i need to order a couple of spring discs for the earlier VR. Think that should do it. I'll put an update on here when i get the parts etc.

Thanks for info. Much appreciated :o

Steve

Definatley.

Early VR6 cars had large spring plates.

In 1994(?) they changed to small topped springs and small plates (the smaller top spring gave an improved ride apparently).

Most lowering springs are designed for use with the earlier large spring plates as the springs are also compatible with G60 and earlier than VR6 cars so the spring maker only needs to make one spring for the corrado.

You need a pair of those larger spring plates as you have a later VR.

Cost is approx £35 from VW, just ask for a a pair of front spring top plates for a 1992 VR6.

Not to sound stroppy, but if you couldn't tell that the suspension strut assembly clearly was not right before you put it back on the car, you really shouldn't be doing these jobs.... :nono:

next time you may not be so lucky....

pb

Yeah cheers for the constructive criticism.......

I promise i will never attempt anything on my car again Dad, and promise to pay lots of money for someone else to do it Dad, and also never ever under any circumstances try to learn anything.......... you tit :cuckoo:

One side actually fitted ok originally.

Cheers for everyone elses help though. earlier spring plates did a better job! :D

Blimey, you must have some serious relationship issues with your father...!! :lol: May I suggest a good therapist.?

The difference between early and late spring plates is a mile, so if you thought one side "actually fitted okay originally" you must be barking. Learning from here is one thing, but discovering you made the mistake by driving thre car until the spring popped through the top plate is quite another.....

If you are gonna do jobs on your car involving suspension, steering or brakes you need enough mechanical wit to see when something is wrong BEFORE it goes wrong.... end of...

pb