Sign in to follow this  
junkie

G60 head removal - [its now off with pics]

Right then whats the best way to remove the head off my car, whats the procedure guys.

Hoping to do this tomorrow so could use as much info as possible.

Like will it come off all in 1 built up or do i need to take the cam out, it doesnt matter if it needs stripping down as it needs to come off no ifs or buts, what things can i check whilst im in there and whats the signs of any trouble to look out for.

you would be better off stripping off as many of the bits as possible, it makes it much easier to remove the head.

you may struggle to seperate the exhaust manifold from the head though until the head is loose, the flexi pipe doesnt really allow much movement,

its worth checking out the exploded diagrams of the head on that volkswagen.msk.ru site it should make it a lot clearer what needs to come off.

Oh yes dont get me wrong everything will be coming off on the outside of the engine except the inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and turbo, alreadt disconnected the downpipe.

I named it G60 as more people are likely to answer than G60 turbo lol.

My concerns are the actual bits inside the head as its going to be my 1st time taking it to bits so i dont want to damage anything whilst doing it, ideally i want to keep as much of the head together as possible internally.

yeah you can leave the camshaft in as it keeps all the hydraulic lifters in place while you flip the head over, although if you are having the head skimmed it will need to be stripped down.

Ok im getting there just got turbo oil and water lines to remove but i have noticed i dont have the right size torq bit to remove the head bolts.

What size do i need?

Whats the best way to remove the cam belt?

Best place to drain the water/coolant from so as to not make a bloody mess everywhere?

:tumbleweed: in here today on the forum

Well got the coolant drained, made a mess still :D

Nearly got the turbo feed lines off, frigging nightmare they are.

Just need to know the size tool i need to get the head bolts out please?????? :shrug:

looks like the forum has been down since sunday evening, the bit you need for the head bolts is a 12mm 12 point spline socket not a 6 point torx, make sure you get a reasonably decent one as the cheapo ones tend to snap when torqueing them up, i used one that came in a laser tools socket set from halfords and it was fine.

a good tip for removing the cam belt is get some tip ex or any paint and mark on the belt and pulley on each pulley, then just cut the old belt off or slacken the tensioner and slide it off (will need to remove lower pulley and vibration damper and remove the lower cover and maybe power steering pulley), then put the old belt on top of the new one and make paint marks in the same places on the new one, this makes it impossible to get it wrong when you fit the new belt as the marks have to line up with the marks on the pullies

Worth also noting the 1/2 Inch drive Halfords spline bits donn't fit into the G60 head, I used a sealey bit to undo but it felt a bit loose so borrowed Snap-On to torque the new bolts up with (much better fit)

Well im off to buy a 12 point spline socket or tool tonight so can somebody confirm what does fit in and where from please as i was going to go to halfords.

Everything is off now except the bloody head bolts.

Yeah the rail of 1/2 inch drives splines that they do doesn't fit some of the bolt locations - you need a double depth one or a set...

And presumably Halfrauds dont do any double length 1's either.

You know when you start something then just sit back and think why oh why did i think it was a good idea??? Well the moment is here and my plans are nowhere near finished. :cuckoo:

Get the Laser set that they sell, with the bits in both short and long varieties and 3/8 and 1/2 inch adaptors.

How much am i looking @ for that, is it a full socket set im looking out for or just a spline set?

Damn...can't remember what i used for the head bolts, was just sommet i had knocking about that fitted no probs.

Are ya fitting new studs in the head mate? Stick at it, it will come good :D

Neil.

Yes as i thought they were 1 use only anyway.

Also i might have a big valve head for sale at some point :D

yeah head bolts are stretch bolts, unless he was refering to the exhaust manifold studs, which it is a very good idea to replace as it make putting it back together so much smoother.

the laser set is about 28 quid, but you should be able to get one from somewhere like machine mart.

if you struggle to find one let me know and i will send you mine in the post.

Give me chance dude, only just got home from Meadowhall, need to time up the engine, take off the cambelt and then it can come off hopefully tomorrow.

those sockets are also very handy for the cv joint bolts and the square cut spline ones are great for removing rounded allen bolts, just hammer them in and out they come.

Just got the head off now and i am wondering why nobody has tried to stop me doing all this yet??? :shrug:

I think it must have been running quite rich for quite a good long while now, there is carbon build up on the valves and around the valve port chamber thing that sits above the pistons, assume thats not normal???

Will upload some pics tomorrow now when its lighter.