Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

creaking when steering at slow speed

when I steer the wheels especially when not moving so with more resistance, it creaks, it is hard to tell exactly where from, I am thinking the top mounts but they seem ok to look at, any ideas?

thanks

Nick

mine does this aswell. i think its just the top mounts and suspension creaking under strain :p

when I steer the wheels especially when not moving so with more resistance, it creaks, it is hard to tell exactly where from, I am thinking the top mounts but they seem ok to look at, any ideas?

thanks

Nick

Do you get a "dunk, dunk, dunk" sound as it goes round? If so, then it's probably the bearing in the top mount strut. Mine did that, was replaced by a "VW expert" and is doing it again after a short while. That was one of the few times I got a garage to do work for me, and probably one of the last.

Mine has recently started doing this, my first assumption was the top mounts were on their way out.

I was going to do them anyway when i change all the bushes on the front end.

Do you get a "dunk, dunk, dunk" sound as it goes round? If so, then it's probably the bearing in the top mount strut. Mine did that, was replaced by a "VW expert" and is doing it again after a short while. That was one of the few times I got a garage to do work for me, and probably one of the last.

no dunk dunk just creaking,, anyone know a good way to see if the top mounts are shot, also is there a good way of telling if various bushes are gone, in the past i have found it hard to tell unless they are of the car, but thats not alot of help,

thanks

Nick

mine has had full brand new upper and lower front and rear mounts and bearings when i had the coilovers fitted and it still does it :p. dunno what it can be really :)

Wishbone bushings - thats it I think- was a long time ago :) . Was defo the bushings around that area.

Get your local garage to get her up on the ramps - if it is the bushings they can tell you straight away.

so i am guessing if it is the bushes that the rest of the suspension bushes are on there way out?

can you get a kit for the whole car and if so where from and how much? i am guessing vw are an expensive option?

nick

VW bushes aren't too expensive, in fact most aftermarket kits are more (claiming enhanced performance allows all kinds of liberties to be taken).

I still think it's most likely to be the BJs, not bushes, but get it checked out.

Is it possibly something to do with power steering? Perhaps you could get somebody to slowly steer the car while stationary and listen around the car to locate the problem?

thanks guys,

i am away for a couple of weeks now but will have a look into it after and let you know, thanks for the help,

nick

I had this a month after fitting my Weitec ultra GT, and had put new top mounts and bearings in at the same time.....

And of course it started just after paying cambridge performance tyres an inordinate sum to do a four wheel alignment

I've ignored it for 6 months, then the other day whilst doing an oil change with the front up I liberally sprayed WD all over the coils and onto the exposed parts of the top mounts - making sure I didnt get any onto the brakes - moved wheels left to right, drove to Scotland and back and it has been SILENT ever since....

PB