Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Exhaust manifold crack?

I have a crack in my 16v exhaust manifold at the point where port 2 and 3 join.

Not sure how long it's been there but -

1) Should I change the manifold urgently?

2) Can I run with it without trouble?

3) Will it be effecting anything else if I run with it?

Thanks for any advice.

Not uncommon i'm afraid, but you can get it welded it up easily enough.

The crack will propogate with heat (get bigger, thermodynamics yo!) so I'd recommend getting it sorted. You can run it, but it'll get louder and you'll be loosing power and if it's a 9a, the lambda will be getting slightly dodgy air readings.

Good time to go tubular? :norty:

Not uncommon i'm afraid, but you can get it welded it up easily enough.

The crack will propogate with heat (get bigger, thermodynamics yo!) so I'd recommend getting it sorted. You can run it, but it'll get louder and you'll be loosing power and if it's a 9a, the lambda will be getting slightly dodgy air readings.

Good time to go tubular? :norty:

Ok cheers for that.

I'd go tubular but it's a big expense against £30 from my local breaker.

Got myself a used manifold from my local VW breaker but it doesn't have the CO sample pipe - the one that is blanked off. Does this matter? I'm guessing not.

Got myself a used manifold from my local VW breaker but it doesn't have the CO sample pipe - the one that is blanked off. Does this matter? I'm guessing not.

No dont think it matters Dave. When i had my 6 branch fitted, the mechanic said there was a few bits he couldnt fit back on, one of which was that pipe youre referring to. He then said it was only to test the Lambda sensor.

No dont think it matters Dave. When i had my 6 branch fitted, the mechanic said there was a few bits he couldnt fit back on, one of which was that pipe youre referring to. He then said it was only to test the Lambda sensor.

Cheers bud!

Here's the replacement manifold but it does have some thread missing at the top on 3 or 4 studs. Will this be a problem? If so can I weld in some threaded bar or do I need the genuine items?

Thanks

Here's the replacement manifold but it does have some thread missing at the top on 3 or 4 studs. Will this be a problem? If so can I weld in some threaded bar or do I need the genuine items?

Thanks

Cant see it being a problem tbh. Its on the end of the thread and will be bolted lower then that once fitted.

Ah right, that I didn't know.

Cheers

Sorry being an idiot is a valver not a VR. :cuckoo: Apologies.

A valver is a 16v engine.