Sign in to follow this  
chimo

Big crack in my erm ... engine.

Hey guys, started the car after work this evening and it didn't sound so healthy.... eventually got under the hood and found this lovely crack in this pipe...

Engine001.jpg

I don't really know what this pipe is for, but it does seem to be sucking the life out of the engine.

I'm kinda worried as this is my daily... and my fiance's daily as well.... is it healthy to drive it this way for a short amount of time?

Hi mate :)

Do you mean the steering joint gaitor? (black rubber boot thing)

If so, then its still perfectly useable, and won't have any adverse effect short term.

Best to get a new rubber boot fitted though as it will allow noise into the car,and dry up the joint.

Neil.

ok... rotten, it can't be that then... there must be another issue, as there's definite engine noise and lackluster performance.

OK.... seemt o have figured it out, but don't know what happened. I thought it sounded like an exhaust leak...

Now that the car is cold, turned it over and figured that the sound is a leak off the exhaust manifold, in the picture there's a boltish thing on the right side. There's usually an arm sticking out of this to my recolection. The arm is gone, no visable break.

What the hell is the arm actually for?... I remember it just being there and pivoting around seemingly with no purpose. Is this something really required or can I get that closed off somehow?

its the emissions sniffer pipe outlet, there is usually a thin metal pipe coming out of it with a little rubber cap on the end, the brackets that are meant to secure them allways break and allow the pipe to bounce around, without the pipe you will get the exhaust noise coming from the hole and it will suck air in before the lambda sensor causing possible fueling issues, just bung the hole up with something, a bit of exhaust paste will probably work as a temporary fix, or find something roughly the right size to bung it with.

I wouldnt bother trying to remove the nut on it unless you have some plus-gas to soak it in over night, it looks quite rusty and will probably just snap otherwise.