Sign in to follow this  
kaiserVR6

When will i ever learn.......

Last night i started the job of fitting a polished intake manifold, only to find that after removing the assembly some 'tool' has managed to round the head on the allen bolt!!!!! :bad-words:

so i bot it all back together and the car drives fine.

Then this morning i set off to work and all is well with the world, when i stop at a set of lights and the revs stay at 3,000rpm, and when i pulled over to have a look the throttle cable is not tight but the throttle doesnt want to return to the correct position!

I have checked everything i can think of and i am now stuck HELP!!!! :help:

Note to self dont fix something that isnt broken!

Take the throttle cable off the throttle body and check it's operation to find out why it isn't closing properly, my valver had a habit of the throttle cable sticking partly recently, bt a bit of a fiddle, and a squirt of wd40 sorted it out.

thats the probelm though, there is no tention on the throttle cable, it the actual sprung part which doesn't want to return to its normal position?!

Is the throttle body on its way out!?

will do, going out in my lunch to see what i can sort out.....

underneath the throttle body there is, what i can only describe as, a sensor type unit that compresses, this doesn't have any elec connections to it though. it seems to be some kind of stop, but i am not sure........i think i may have adjusted it slighty.....could that be the cuase, if anyone has any idea what the unit is that would be great!?

That part is a damper, to stop the airflow from being cut off dead, just closes the throttle plate a little bit more gently when its nearly shut. If you have adjusted it wildly then yes you could probably hold the throttle part open with it.

yeah it was the damper, now i can see it in the cold light of day it was a bit easier to spot!

the bracket needs straightening and i need to sort it out.

Just rying to figure out how to get the last bolt that some numpty as round the hex head on the throttle body, do i cut a slot in it with a hack saw, or drill the head off and slide the throttle body over the shank and then i can remove the bolt frm the inlet manifold at a later time, while i have the polished one on!?

opinions??

I can confirm the Irwins are a must bought a set last week and they pulled the bolt out instantly after trying for 2 hours, bought after somebody on here recommended me to them.

are Irwins going to actually work on an allen bolt, there is only half the head exposed, the rest is spot faced into the throttle body!?

I dont know but I promise even if they dont work on this bolt, you WILL be very glad you have them the next time you run into this problem! I would suggest you go get a set and try them, so much easier than cutting off the head of the bolt and trying to extract the thread!! :?

Irwins should grip for sure.

If you get really stuck and the car is driveable, go give a garage £5 to weld a nut onto the top of the allen bolt and then unto it as per normal. That should work fine. :salute:

if you do try with torx, all well and good, but make sure you have some high quality torx bits otherwise you will sheer the torx bits if they are cheap.

also irwins are amazing - the two allen head bolts that hold on the rear caliper carriers were absolutely rusted and fubar'd on my car, nothing was getting them out.

i "woke them up!" with the tap of a hammer and then they came straight out with irwins - top notch bits of kit - i have a collection of them :D