Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Blue smoke on overun & downhill

I'm having the same problem with my VR smoking on overrun but I would say my smoke looks more white than blue.

Same cause??

Is that when the engine is cold or hot? White smoke from cold is normal, it should disappear once engine is warm.

It does it when the engine is warm. It was doing it a lot worse before I had a turner in to have a look at when the car was idling rough and running rich. This was solved because one of the air breath pipes had been cut and there was a fault code on the air flow meter. That has all been solved but I still sometimes get the smoke on overrun.

I thought it may still be running a little rich? Maybe the Lamda senor is now knackered after running rich?

I've known a few VR's exhibit this trait. If you're running Synta silver oil (10W40 I think) change to a 20W40 semi-synthetic oil. The engine will still be perfectly happy and the slightly thicker oil should cut down on the smoking.

Thanks for the comments. I'm currently running 10/40 and almost time for a oil change so I will try something thinker.

i have alot of blue smoke on over-run and going down hill, i know this to be my valve stem seals, but when i accelerate after coasting i struggle with power and the engine splutters a little then chucks out the blue smoke(oil) and is fine, could my plugs be coated with oil and need a clean, until i can afford a head rebuild, or should i look at something else?

Neil

I had an ST24 with leaky valve stem seals. I drove it for 20000 miles without issue before I sold it. If it is valve stem seals you will normally get the worst puff of blue smoke in the morning when the car is started for the first time from cold.

If it is valve stem seals the car will be burning oil pretty much all the time but it won't always be visible out the exhaust when the car is warm.

How is your oil consumption?