Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Front brake flexi hoses questions (SEARCHED!)

Does anyone know whether the short stubby metal pipe coming out of 280mm calipers (and maybe others) is supposed to be part of the flexi hose or part of the caliper?

I have some new rubber flexi hoses and I have some 280s... but I'm obviously missing a bit. The hoses are female threaded, and the caliper is female threaded.

Should I have gotten a small double ended male (Easy now) connector with the hoses which help connect the two?

VR6: please don't move to Suppliers forum! :salute:

I bought later G60 pipes which have male ends on but were too long, I think early G60 pipes would be correct, or you can buy double enders to convert female to female.

It's a 1990 plate yo, I'm all ABOUT the earlies.

Yeah tbh, the calipers are late spec, but I'm hoping I can find these little double ended male connectors.

just buy vr hoses or make up some adapters out of brake pipe and two male ends?

Only trouble is that VR lines are a lot longer and rub on the inner arch. i've had to pikey some inner tube and cable ties up to protect my pipes. :oops:

VR hoses are massively too long my friend.

I think late spec G60s will be female fit for the hard line and male fit for the caliper which would be correct :salute:

VR hoses are massively too long my friend.

I think late spec G60s will be female fit for the hard line and male fit for the caliper which would be correct :salute:

There must be someone with a very early g60 on here that could tell you... Try Sonicriot, I'm sure his is an H plater.

Not to hand, I'll try to sort one out this weekend.

The hose looks like a normal hose with a thin metal tube on the caliper end, which is still screwed in to the caliper body.

Ok, you've got early spec G60 calipers there and the pipes that come off them are about £6 each from VW if you need new ones (or cheaper if you make them up yourself)

If your car has the late type connector for the brakes (N chassis onwards - high up in the wheel arch) then you can do away with the metal pipes and just fit the late G60 hoses (male and female ended) but if you have an early car (upto 50-M-035000) with the connector low down in the arch then these hoses will be to long so you need to keep the metal bits on the caliper and fit the female/female hoses as in the pic above - I have a pair of goodridge ones I will sell if needed, say £20 delivered.

Hope that makes sense!!!

Steve, I'm confused.

Calipers are VR6 (off Toad's car, he took them off the day of the BBQ if you remember?) from an N plate so late spec (although all VRs are late spec anyway?)

Car is early spec, 1990 16v as per my sig.

Those hoses I have are Golf mk2 16v / Corrado so are obviously early spec ones.

So basically I need to keep the metal bits on the caliper, try to wrestle the old corroded hoses off them and attach the new hoses?

I'd really rather replace the metal bits on the caliper, but if this means buying new hoses then I guess I have no choice.

They are deffo ealy G60 calipers matey - the only ones that had the metal pipes attached, all the VR's got the later, mk3 hoses and connection for the brakes high up in the arch... That Toad boy is having a giraffe!

But, these are what you need as your car is early so the hoses you have are 350mm long then they will be fine but yes, you need to keep the metal bit on the caliper - I'd make a new one up if you can tho!

I'm not sure but I think you might be thinking mine have a small amount of twisty copper pipe coming off them? This isn't what I mean by the metal pipe!

15052008399.jpg

Mine don't have these tiny bits of copper pipe on (I know the pic is crap)

It has what looks like a long bleed nipple on it, prob 1" length ish.

I don't have a camera atm which is really not helping this explanation!

:sad: no it's not my pic.

I'm not gonna bother elaborating until I get some pics! But they are DEFFF VR6 calipers. You were stood there with Toad taking them off his N reg VR6!

YESSSSS, THAT IS THE LITTLE PIPEY BIT!

God I was going mental trying to describe that!

So what brakes are those hoses from? I need those for sure.

Ah!

They are late Corrado / MK3 Golf, too long for you unless you go to a factors are try and find some inbetween... (350mm - 435mm)

I would just make up some metal pipe as per the pic to convert - then it will be like it would have been out the factory with those brakes.

EDIT ^ your original brakes should look like this unless the hose outlet is different on a 16V caliper?