Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Front brake flexi hoses questions (SEARCHED!)

Cheers Steve, we got there in the end! :salute:

Yeah IIRC, the 16v ones are the same as that, but I still haven't had mine up in the air or the wheels off! Stupid gravel driveway :brickwall:

Ok, you've got early spec G60 calipers there and the pipes that come off them are about £6 each from VW if you need new ones (or cheaper if you make them up yourself)

If your car has the late type connector for the brakes (N chassis onwards - high up in the wheel arch) then you can do away with the metal pipes and just fit the late G60 hoses (male and female ended) but if you have an early car (upto 50-M-035000) with the connector low down in the arch then these hoses will be to long so you need to keep the metal bits on the caliper and fit the female/female hoses as in the pic above - I have a pair of goodridge ones I will sell if needed, say £20 delivered.

Hope that makes sense!!!

If the Monkey doesn't want these hoses and they are what i need for these calipers, i'll take them please?

005.jpg

um hijack?!

Steve, found these hoses on teh bay. I emailed the guy and they're male one end and female the other. Plus if they're early spec they should be the right length?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170228823167

Picture shoes the male end, which would screw right into the caliper which sounds like it could be what I need.

Ok, you've got early spec G60 calipers there and the pipes that come off them are about £6 each from VW if you need new ones (or cheaper if you make them up yourself)

If your car has the late type connector for the brakes (N chassis onwards - high up in the wheel arch) then you can do away with the metal pipes and just fit the late G60 hoses (male and female ended) but if you have an early car (upto 50-M-035000) with the connector low down in the arch then these hoses will be to long so you need to keep the metal bits on the caliper and fit the female/female hoses as in the pic above - I have a pair of goodridge ones I will sell if needed, say £20 delivered.

Hope that makes sense!!!

If the Monkey doesn't want these hoses and they are what i need for these calipers, i'll take them please?

Erm...looks like you've painted into the threads for the flexi hose :?

My my, you lot have been busy.

The calipers are from a late VR, I took them off complete with pipes just before the BBQ, the late pipes are rubber down to a 2 inch metal section with a male end on that fits into the caliper. This is the section Monkey first talked about. Early 16v calipers have a short bent metal pipe attached which fits into the caliper and is bolted onto the caliper giving a male end at the caliper, this is the bit people were getting confused with. I'm not sure if early G60s had this short bent pipe section or not? if they didn't then I'd just buy a set of those pipes, but ETKA seems to suggest that there are only early 300ish mm pipes and late 425ish mm pipes.

I fitted late VR calipers to my 16V using the late long pipes but they rub the wheel arch at certain points. I cured this by using a bit of inner tube and cable ties to protect the goodridges.

I *think* the bent pipe section might be transferable *if* you can get it off, and *if* you can tap the screw holes int he VR callipers out.

I honestly didn't realise it was all going to be such a ball ache, sorry Jon! If you can't get the hoses I'll give you your money back and sell them on again.

Mr Hub, I think you need to get a tap and retap the holes for the hoses, and clear the tapered section at the bottom of the holes.

No probs! :salute:

Eased the hoses off now, no probs. Looks like I just need a double ended male (Easy, dinkus) connector between the two, even if it's just some copper pipe with two ends on.

Boost, did you ever get this sorted, i've just been sent my hoses from C&R and seem to be in the same situation :brickwall: Just wondering did you find a solution or did you buy new hoses? My Hoses are female either end but I was told they will just screw straight into the caliper :scratch:

Yeah I got it sorted by buying some male to female brake hoses. Female to female are fine, but you gotta make up a male to male copper brake line at the caliper end so they fix together.

hth,

Jon.

Yeah sounds like the wrong ones matey - these are the ones I had for sale basically...

Female to female are standard fitment on early 16v AFAIK. My current 256mm calipers have them on and even a little bracket either side to hold the male-to-male copper pipe: way too much engineering for aftermarket IMHO.

Thanks. Any idea of the part No. of the correct hoses :scratch:

Sorry, mine aren't genuine VAG. This is something like what you are looking for though, in fact that one may even fit given it's Audi 100 specification :salute:

Sorry, mine aren't genuine VAG. This is something like what you are looking for though, in fact that one may even fit given it's Audi 100 specification :salute:

Yeah mate thats what I am after only in Braided :lol: :brickwall:

I've been looking on the net, but most of the sites only show a generic pic of a kit so you don't actually know what connections is in each kit. I'll call C&R on Monday morn and sort it from there. Thanks for your suggestions :)