Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

Koni T/As what am i doing wrong?

im in the process of building up my Koni T/As with KW springs, on my VR6, im stuck on the rears, i take it i just have to replace the current Koni springs which are on the shock absorbers with the KW ones?

the reason i ask is that the KW springs dont fit where the Koni springs used to? pic below:

springs.JPG[/attachment:1wvkm8pg]

*note the gap between where the old koni spring sits and where the new KW s, the KW actually its on top of the adjustment ring which makes me think it needs a plate in there?

have i got the springs the wrong way round and do i need to fit a plate in there instead ?

those yellow springs look too wide for rears IMHO.

the fronts should be ( ) shaped, but the rears should be || shaped.

hth,

Jon.

p.s. not sure if you need a plate or not, sorry :shrug:

they are deffo the rears! just been peed off by VW, ordered a load of bits from them, costing over £250 last week, went there earlier, oh sorry we forgot to put the order through! Cheers VW you have just F*cked up my weekend!

i'm pretty sure that on kw's and weitecs the top adjuster (the one the spring rest's on) has a step on them to locate the spring centrally, well i'm 99% sure my weitecs do anyway, and my old H&R's 100% did.

i also agree with boost monkey about the springs, look at daves16v kw v1's for sale thread, the rear springs dont look the same as yours :?

i'm pretty sure that on kw's and weitecs the top adjuster (the one the spring rest's on) has a step on them to locate the spring centrally, well i'm 99% sure my weitecs do anyway, and my old H&R's 100% did.

i also agree with boost monkey about the springs, look at daves16v kw v1's for sale thread, the rear springs dont look the same as yours :?

yeah there is a step on my Koni's but the bottom 'ring' on the spring isnt wide enough o fit around it, it just sits ontop of it :?

anyhow here is a pic of the setup, from left to right:- old rear shock with original koni spring in it, all fits nice and snug, middle: rear shock with KW spring on it, spring doesnt sit in step, therefore will jiggle about when under load (cant be right!) right: front koni with KW sring all looks nice fits like a glove.

DSC00013.JPG[/attachment:1s8132wq]

I'm confused....

It looks like you are trying to fit regular springs to coilovers at the back - I've not seen any normal Koni TA shocks with the perch adjustment rings like that, only the 3 or 5 step circlip type...

I'm confused....

It looks like you are trying to fit regular springs to coilovers at the back - I've not seen any normal Koni TA shocks with the perch adjustment rings like that, only the 3 or 5 step circlip type...

so what you are trying to say is that they aint Koni VR6 rear shocks? great. im off to buy another set then!

no, what he's saying is you need conventional koni rear shocks (TA) with those new springs, not the coilover dampers (with the spanner adjusted lock rings) that you seem to have already.

no, what he's saying is you need conventional koni rear shocks (TA) with those new springs, not the coilover dampers (with the spanner adjusted lock rings) that you seem to have already.

could i not use the koni springs that are in the shocks (the originals) in the rears and run the KWs in the fronts? or would that be a bad idea?

Worth a go, especially as you can adjust the damping and ride height, I can't see it causing any particular problems.

Ideally you would want springs and shocks matched together and matched front-rear as a set designed to work together, but I doubt the aftermarket mnfrs test sets on a chassis in the rigorous way VW do anyway and most of the settings for particular kits seem to be based on car weight and in particular weight over the front wheels.

I'd have thought you could get a worse result from using a complete kit but setting heights and rebound settings incorrectly.

what top/spring plate are you going to use on the rear? the one on the left doesn't look like it'll fit the middle one

Worth a go, especially as you can adjust the damping and ride height, I can't see it causing any particular problems.

Ideally you would want springs and shocks matched together and matched front-rear as a set designed to work together, but I doubt the aftermarket mnfrs test sets on a chassis in the rigorous way VW do anyway and most of the settings for particular kits seem to be based on car weight and in particular weight over the front wheels.

I'd have thought you could get a worse result from using a complete kit but setting heights and rebound settings incorrectly.

cool so ill just use the original rears with the original koni springs and use the front knois with KW springs.

what top/spring plate are you going to use on the rear? the one on the left doesn't look like it'll fit the middle one

the one on the left is the same as the one in the middle, except for a different diameter spring, which wont make any difference if i use the original springs.