Sign in to follow this  
JimboBucks

2.0 16V (9a) Running very rich

Alright all, my Corrado refuses to play ball! Every time i fix something, something else goes wrong! There was a load of dodgy wiring under the dash, so it's just been to an auto electrician, had everything put back as it should be, and a known, working replacement ECU fitted.

Problem is, now it's running VERY rich, even when it's up to temp you can smell the petrol through the exhaust, and somewhat more noticeably if you give it the proverbial "beans" it's spitting flames out the exhaust between gears!!

Now while this is quite cool, in a very childish way anyway, my fule consumption is taking a hammering, cant get much more than 20mpg, even on a motorway run?!?

Also it now refuses to idle properly, have atleast got it to idle (it was cutting out) by leaning out the idle mixture via the little allen bolt on the K-jet metering head, and the stop screw on the butterfly valve that the throttle cable connect to.

Just tried dissconnecting my ISV, idle seemed margianly better for some reason? But tried taking it round the block, and as soon as you open the throttle slightly it refuses to rev above about 1500 rpm, sounds like it's trying to run on 1 cylinder?!

So any1 had similar problems? Or got any suggestions would be much appreciated, as i'm a bit stumped at the moment!

Cheers all,

James

Right! the first place I'd start is to look at 3 micro switches and check that they're operating....

MS1 is under the 'paddle' on the metering head (thing on top of air box), this lets the car know that the flap is closed

MS2 is at the full throttle side of the throttle body, this lets the car know that the throttle is wide open

MS3 is at the throttle closed position on the throttle body, obviously letting the car know the throttle is closed!

The mixture setup could also be completely cheesed, there's a screw located about the airbox somewhere but i wouldn't advise playing with this......

OP, I'd expect that is why it won't rev past 1500rpm because you have adjusted it so far to the lean side that there is not much petrol getting through!

Don't drive it unless you can adjust the mixture back else you could break it.

I had only adjusted the miture screw very slightly, under a quarter of a turn and still seem fine, pulls throught the rev rnage ok, and the not reving to over 1500 was only with the ISV disconnected. Just wanted to see if it made any odd's.

It's basically running atm, just not very well! As i say, just very rich, but those mirco switches sound a good starting place.

Basically someone had it steup running like the origional k-jet's (no ecu), purely off the metering head, and the fuel pump was running full whack from the second you turned the key when i bought it. The ECU was buggered, and had been bypassed completely, the coil was getting power from the radiator fan!!! There were a few random relays attached to the fuse board, which i've since found out were Ford fule pump relays! So a bit of a sorry state really.

But since the new ecu is in and the wiring is back to how it should be, it's running a bit better (It surprisingly didnt run to bad before!) but not hugely, still very rich.

I will take a look at those switches over the weekend and see what i can figure out.

Cheers for the help so far guys

As i said in my OP, the ECU is known to be working, it came out of my mates car, so i'm 99.9% sure it's not that.

I need to get a OBD1 cable, as i have the vag com software, but only got an OBD2 cable.

Just been out and had a look for those switches, cant see them.... unless i'm not looking in the right place?!

There is a black box on the under side of the throttle body, so unless they are housed in there?

If someone has a pic that would be helpfull?

I think i might just have to bite the bullet and take it to someone knows the peculiarities of the k-jet system!

Update, against better advice i have just been fiddling with the mixture screw, though for some reason mine's 2.5mm not 3mm?

BUT this does appear to have been a step in the rigth direction. It's picking up a lot better low down the revs, and not popping so much. I have still only adjusted it maybe a further quarter turn from what i had previously, and no signs of being starved of fuel, pulling upto the redline, so i'm wondering if the previous, seemingly slightly misguided, owner had buggered about with it to the point where it was set to running VERY rich.

Will have another tinker tomorrow and see how i get on.

Right, stupid question time, i cant find my lamda.... It's seemingly not on the back of the manifold or on the exhaust...

In theory it should as its on a K plate, but for love nor money can i find the lamda?!

Lambda connects into the exhaust around the cat, the lead plugs in to a socket that is to the rear left hand side of the engine block...

Yep - plug connects and earths ontop of the rear engine mount - directly underneath the brake fluid res

Check the wiring out as this is a common failure point, especially if engine mounts are knackered!

Do as I did.. bring the car to an official Bosch service, in which they can manage with mechanical injections... I brought my C there with 96 BHP ( :gag: ) and they gave it back to me with 140 :onfire:

Jimbo, I'm guessing you're in Bucks by yiur user name?

If so where abouts as I know a guy whos a genius with K-Jet/ Ke-Jet...

Jimbo, I'm guessing you're in Bucks by yiur user name?

If so where abouts as I know a guy whos a genius with K-Jet/ Ke-Jet...

Yes indeed i am mate, I'm just near High Wycombe in Bucks....

Cheers for the advice all, i'm investin in some vag com software, so i can see whats what. Bit i'm coming to the conclusion it needs to go to someone who knows the k-jet system.

Well that, or i was half thinking about just ditching it all together and putting some bike carbs on! So had enough of k-jet by now.