Sign in to follow this  
renson

Golf VR6 soooooo slow

Tonight I picked up a golf 2.8 VR6 to sit happily next to my corrado, However I know it needs some work doing to it but it seems so slow. My valver was quicker than it on the way home. The Cat seemed to be rattling on the golf. Could this cause car to run so bad? It didn't want to rev over 4k but the engine seemed fine no misfire or anything. Could a knackered blocked Cat cause this to happen. I know its not a C but i always seem to find help from you lot. On the plus side even with my mate really trying to give it some there seemed to be no smoke from the exhaust and it done 140k with svs history up to 113K. Not too bad for free and at least this way i can get the VR6 'lust' as my missus calls it out the way. Please Help.

Also the corrado seems upset and has wet itself, I seem to be slowly sinking from the rear driverside footweel. I have noticed a small water stain in the corner of the rear seat that i assumed was from my little girl drinking in the back but could this be a blocked sunroof drain??

first check that it's not just the heatshield on the cat that is rattling, the tabs that hold the heatshield on allways break and you can either just rip the heatshield off (just dont park over long dry grass), get it welded or put some big jubilee clips around it.

if its not the heatshield then yes its worth checking that the cat hasn't melted inside and become blocked, but there is usually a reason why it would have melted.

otherwise just find someone with vagcom and get it scanned for faults, could just be a dodgy sensor.

Could be any number of things but a good culprit for knocking a great slab of BHP off a VR6 engine is the cam position sensor. On the 2.9 VR6 that hacks off 15-20BHP when it packs up. Considering that the Golf VR6 has less BHP, the effect will bring the power right down to where it is on a fairly level pegging with the 16v...?

Get it on VAGCOM as coolrado says - all will be revealed on there i'm sure.

I shall borrow a scantool tonight and test it after work thanks. It just seems really odd because it just seems to pull away slow and hit 4000 rpm and thats it. It doesn't seem to me misfiring just has something holding it back. Thanks.

Don't think it helped when i was looking at the car with a friend and said ' yeah it may have a big engine but its just a :censored: golf, don't care if the corrado is slower it just gives people longer to appreciate it as i drive past'.

Think i may have upset it, but as they say the truth hurts :clap:

Timing could also be out for some reason..? If it pulls away slow and tops out at about 4000RPM...?

Cam Position sensor as Jim said is a likely culprit. I had a Golf VR6 before the Corrado and had a duff CPS, it had the same symptoms as you, I changed the sensor and it made a night and day difference to the car.