Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

ABS relays

You can get pin removal tools, RS do them I think, but they may not be cheap. But you can also get replacement pins from VW....

i know snap on (rip off) and mac tools do a tool with about 4 different types in 1 and also sell a box of about 10 different pin tools.

obviously they come out from the back, sometimes iv used a paper clip or a very very thin screwdriver to push the pin down that locates it. tricky tho. i normally end up braking something tho :bad-words:

sorry cant be any more help on this

casual

I never did swap pumps by the way, because my ABS spontaneously decided to start working. Initially the light would stay on after the first start then it would go off when I restarted the car to come back from wherever I had been. These days it always stays off, every time and it's been like this for a few months now. My ABS was originally disabled on purpose by a previous owner, I presume because of the (trivial to fix) sensor fault. My theory is that since it hadn't been used for a while, the pump had become gunked up, for whatever reason. The power on test must have loosened it off somehow. I've even tested the ABS (on purpose) a couple of times and it all seems to be working fine.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but did you clean out all the filters on the ABS unit (the ones on the output to the lines), I recently restored an ABS unit and they were absolutely covered in gunk.

Me? No I never touched the pump besides cleaning the electrical contacts etc. (but this wasn't a problem). Cleaning it was going to be the next thing to try before swapping the pumps. I'm so glad I don't have to do that now as it would inevitably mean doing the brake lines as well.

@ Larkin what was the outcome in the end mate?

Mine's doing exactly the same and the mechanic would be pulling his hair out if he had any :)

sorry man but I sold the car before i got round to rewiring the loom!

i bought a tool for opening the pins but it was the wrong one and i hadnt found the motivation to go back to it since

im 95% sure it was a dodgy wire somewhere in the loom as i was getting different resistance readings on one wire when it was wiggled..

If you have autodata it gives you the abs mutlimeter pin test readings for all the valves..

You can use the the plug that goes into the abs ECU (passenger footwell behind kick panel) as a breakout box for a multimeter to test the loom readings..

another thing to check when you plug out the ABS ecu is for corrosion on the ecu pins, you might be lucky and it might just be bad connections from the plug to the ecu caused by a water leak..) a bit of light sandpaper and contact cleaner here might be worth a try..

i miss those special saturdays with the dash in a million pieces..

hope this helps

barry