Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Power loss at high revs

Hi all,

Could someone tell me if the following is right for a VR or if there could be an indication of a fault somewhere.

Basically, when i floor the throttle in say 2nd gear, if i wait until the revs get to 5000rpm+ the power drops off and i have to change gear. Then if i do the same again in 3rd it'll do the same. This happens in any gear. Is this a characteristic of the VR lump or could there be something wrong?

Could the engine not be drawing enough fuel to sustain the power at high revs. I've read through what few threads there are on this and the Cam position sensor was highlighted, something to do with the ECU going into open loop or something :?

Any help appreciated.

Gaz

Basically, when i floor the throttle in say 2nd gear, if i wait until the revs get to 5000rpm+ the power drops off and i have to change gear. Then if i do the same again in 3rd it'll do the same. This happens in any gear. Is this a characteristic of the VR lump or could there be something wrong?

Mine's never done this, so there's definitely something wrong .. Get it on VAGCOM.

Should have a second positive peak in torque at about 5400 rpm, then gently tail off as it goes to the red line. But it WILL pull right through to the redline, no problem.

be careful with it, because if it is not injecting enough fuel, you could have serious problems

Mine's never done this, so there's definitely something wrong .. Get it on VAGCOM.

Should have a second positive peak in torque at about 5400 rpm, then gently tail off as it goes to the red line. But it WILL pull right through to the redline, no problem.[/quote:3yq5molx]

Ill correct what i said above, its actually 4500rpm + where there seems to be power loss.

Yes i was thinking its fuel related. I've had it on VAGCOM recently and it hasnt shown any issues. IF it is a fuel problem where would the first place to look be - fuel pump, injectors?