Sign in to follow this  
latestarter2

power steering loss

Pulled up on the drive way from work all ok.

Then decided to reverse up the driveway, turned the wheel there was an almighty clunk and suddenyl NO power steeering at all !!

Feels like i'm driving a tank.

Any ideas?

Not yet just got in...it was the almighty clunk that worries me. :(

Being a numoty any pics as to where the pump is would be greatly appreciated.

The pump runs off one of the pulleys down the left hand side of the engine, might as well do the twist test (belt tension should be sufficient enough do that you can only twist the belt through 90 degrees) on all of them whilst you're there.

The fluid reservoir will be a square bottle to the left of the battery on an early car, and a cylindrical bottle wedged in next to the windscreen washer reservoir on a late car.

yeah, look next to the big blue 4Litre square bottle on the right. PAS fluid is in a small mustardy coloured cylinder bottle with a red lid :salute:

Well the fluid looks ok... and if im looking at the right belts etc they all look ok too.

There's no bits of belt over the drive way either.

The other thing ive noticed is that when I try to turn the wheel with the engine running there's a sort of sucking sound (highly technical I know) from the steering column as if somethings trying to work but just isnt managing it. :cuckoo:

Hmm, sounds like the steering rack itself has thrown a valve out or something.

You really need to be under the car to inspect that though.

Hmm, sounds like the steering rack itself has thrown a valve out or something.

You really need to be under the car to inspect that though.

oh poo :brickwall:

Could be wrong, but a sound like that would normally be something mechanical.

I have a couple of PAS racks on the cheap if you need one, hopefully it won't be that major though :salute:

Could be wrong, but a sound like that would normally be something mechanical.

I have a couple of PAS racks on the cheap if you need one, hopefully it won't be that major though :salute:

Cheers mate i'll bear it in mind.

Got a local vw guy having a look at it first. But you're right it sounded mechanical as if something fairly solid had snapped.

actually, the power steering belt tensioner bolt faces upwards, so if that had worked itself loose and fallen out the whole thing might have swung round and made a clunk noise.

But then again, you should have been able to tell that cos the belt would go slack. Ill keep on thinking...

actually, the power steering belt tensioner bolt faces upwards, so if that had worked itself loose and fallen out the whole thing might have swung round and made a clunk noise.

But then again, you should have been able to tell that cos the belt would go slack. Ill keep on thinking...

How would that result in no power steering?...the belt (and im assuming its the right one I checked) its about 2-3cm wide and grooved seemed taught.

it's gotta be something broken..as i said when you turn the steering wheel it sounds like something is sucking/pumping oooer lol but not actually assisting the steering.almost as if in some way its become disconnected from the steering rack and isnt providing the necessary power.

well if a pipe had come off the reservoir would be leaking... but then again it'd only leak when the pump's on, i.e. when the engine is running.

have you tried running the engine on idle and looking under the car?

Would have done but the heavens decided to dump its more than ample load of rain on my house all at once. I'll have to look tommorrow.

Thanks for the help anyway. :salute:

Keep you posted.

No probs matey, yeah keep us informed.

Edit: you're only in swindon! I'll pop down sometime when my tranny is back together :)

Maybe your PAS pump is fubar'd? Just throwing stuff out here..:D

well its official the pumps seized :(

still its being sorted this week :cheers:

And now my bank accounts empty :(

But i'll have the Corrado back :clap:

Do you know how much the pump alone is coming in at? Pretty sure I need another one too. I've been running Desert-spec PAS for about 3 months now.