Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Toyota Celica - experiences?

Don't worry - it's not for me! My brother's planning on buying one, an 05 plate jobbie. What should he be looking out for problem-wise and what do you reckon to them as motors?

Nasty, nasty interior plastics,bot 140 and 180ps versions are rev happy, chassis is superb.

Used one a fair bit at the Mazda RX8 launch Celica was one of the competitor vehicles on the track. Of the FWD cars there it was by far and away the most fun

As for reliability - its a Toyota so no worries

My girlfriend has a 140 gen 7. I actually really like it. And the 190 is bl**dy awesome! The only problem we've had with it was with the wheels. They buckled really easily (all four of them were gone) but some wolfies sorted that out! :D The VVTi engine apparently after about 60k starts using a bit of oil and we have noticed this with Lucy's car. If I recall this was down to the piston ring design. Not excessive but you have to keep an eye on it.

I agree with Andy, the chassis is brilliant. Feels really sporty. The ride can be a bit harsh on certain roads and sometimes I get a bit uncomfortable in the passenger seat but whilst driving you don't notice either of those two things. The only thing about the handling is if anything it is a bit too clinical. It does make driving it very easy though and even in the wet it has muchos muchos grip.

If was going to get one myself I'd go for the higher powered one obviously....

Mate at work has a 190. Feels solidly built but the interior is a little naff - the "leather" interior is only leather on the front faces of the front seats.

Seat position is lost every time you slide it forward for rear access which is very annoying.

Apparently the finish on the alloys is poor leading to rapid corrosion, a decent refurb will sort.

Meant to be a great drive, 190 quick if peaky and a little manic as it needs to be revved. Not much in it between a 190 and a Corrado VR6 - although the VR6 edges it slightly on torque.

Best advice......Buy an old M3 Beemer :grin: at least she wont keep putting the wipers on every time she indicates :wink:

Rice cars= :camp: