Sign in to follow this  
corradoMardo

Which size wheels?

Hi Guys,

I've decided to ditch my standard corrado wheels (15 inch) but can't decide on what size wheels to replace them with. I obviously want them to look good, but one of the main things that I'm planning to do with the car is to take it on a few tracksdays.

Given this, I obviously want the handling to be just right for the twisty bits . I'm thinking (at the moment) either 16 inch or 17 inch. Has anyone got any experience on track driving with 17 inch wheels? I'm concerned that they might be a little large (although corrado's do look nice in 17's) and that maybe the 16 inch would be best suited for this type of activity.

Interested in your thoughts.

I wasn't a fan of the ride quality with 17s. However if you're venturing on track you might like to think about bigger brakes so you'll need bigger wheels to fit the discs under. I'm sure this has been discussed a few times so you might want to have a bit of a search through previous topics :)

what car you got bud? if you have a vr (the only corrado i know) and if taking on a track a cheap upgrade to the brakes are the 312mm brakes from an audi TT, if so then you need minimum 16" wheels as said above, i had 16x7's on before i upgraded to 17x7.5's both bbs but different styles and the 17's are actually lighter which helps turn in feel quicker.

If you look at the team dynamics and rota range of light wheel however you will find even lighter wheels which i think, accomodate big braks as well. if you can fit the brakes inside 16's i'd go for them

Ah.... I hadn't really thought about the size of the brakes at this stage :) .

Thanks for the advice though.... the brakes will most probably be next on my shopping list :D.

My corrado is only a 1.8 16v, but I'm considering going down the turbo conversion route - either adding a turbo to the 16v or going for a 1.8T BAM engine (not totally decided at this stage though).

As for the wheels, I reckon I will go with the 16 inch wheels (I now will have to decide on a make/model :D). It seems to make sense - as this size is probably less likely to mess up the natural handling of the car and will give me a lower centre of gravity etc.

Thanks again for the advice guys.