Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Failing starter motor or ignition switch?

So what with destroying one of my speakers on my parcel shelf last week, and then my driver side door handle failing a few days ago, I now have a mechanical problem to add into the mix. Went to start the Rado today and cranked round the key in the ignition and nothing. I immediately assumed ignition switch, took the key out and tried again and it started. It did it again later in the day when it was time to go home from work but made one very brief attempt at cranking the engine before just stopping. Again - took the key out, retried and it started fine.

The more I look at this the more it seems like classic ignition switch symptoms - especially as the car had been sitting in the sun and for some reason whenever the interior of the car got warm on my old G60 I used to get the same sort of fun with the ignition switch then as well!

Anyone?

Jim.

I had somehting similar a year or so ago. A week after fixing something internal I developed a starting fault.

I got GradeAfailure over and we scratched our heads. Swapped ignition switch and thought about the starter motor when It occured to me.

When I had been working on the inside of the car I left the interior light on and drained the battery. after an overnight charge all was fixed.

Im sure you are not as much of a dullard as me but Its worth checking.

I did think battery at first (especially the second time round when the car started to crank and then just stopped) but when it did then start it wasn't lethargic about it or struggling and started fine. Besides, not been doing anything inside the car maintenance wise for a while and not been using much in the way of power lately (not winter so no heaters, lights, etc etc) - food for thought though so cheers mate :)

dead speaker - check

dead door handle - check

dead ignition switch - check

Are our cars brothers?! :shock:

Ditto the switch, sometimes if you wiggle the key in the slot it likes it and starts anyways :camp:

I'm no expert but I would stab a guess at a failed ignition coil. Mine went last year and it cost about 90 quid for the RAC man to fit a new one.

I'm no expert but I would stab a guess at a failed ignition coil. Mine went last year and it cost about 90 quid for the RAC man to fit a new one.

that won't stop cranking buddy.

you could disco the coil from the dizzy and it would still turn over.

Jim I know nothing about electrics so I could be wrong but I had a similar problem last year that was worse in the heat. I thought it was the starter or key. As the key was easier to change I did and noticed the size of the wire going to the starter was large and assumed a lot of that 'electrical magic thingy' goes down it. My car has a Toad power key that I think inhibits the fuel pump, coil and starter. I'm guessing it's only meant to handle relays and not starter solenoids so I put the starter back to the original wire (Power key still inhibits the coil and pump) and have not had a problem since.

Cheers for that mate. My car still has the original VW factory option alarm kit fitted so the wiring round there should not have been fecked around with.. the car still played up today when I tried to start it after being locked in a cool garage all night so think it is just the ignition switch failing.

Good time to fit the fixed steering column matey with a new switch...

There is a new late door handle at Antics, shall i see if it's a drivers one?

Mine was like this, however it started when i held the plug in the back of the switch to the right. Just replaced it this morning, £17 from TPS and took 5 mins to install. No more looking like im hotwiring it and now i can put the trim back on under the steering wheel :clap:

Am I the only one who has a dead ignition switch carbon bonded and screwed into the lock mounting? :sad:

No way is it a 5min job on my car! :brickwall: