Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Rain X - anyone ever used it?

Hi chaps, I picked up some 'Rain X' (http://www.rainx.com/) stuff the other day after peeps had said it was good stuff for repelling rain from the windscreen, and as the Corrado's headlights are so poor I thought it must be worth all of the 3 Euros :grin:

So anyone ever used this shizzle?

Yep,

Wouldn't drive a car in the rain without it.......it's brilliant........you can often drive in light rain without wipers, the rain just runs back UP the screen from whence it came !

It's excellent for lights too, they stay much cleaner cause the rain doesn't seem to leave ant muck on them.

I haven't used it but also heard plenty of people recommend it. I've found that Autoglym car glass polish works well too

It's great stuff, really does what it says on the tin (or bottle). I keep forgetting I have some though! Thanks for reminding me...

since I discovered it 10 or so years ago I have never been without a bottle in the garage. The stuff is like magic.

never used it personally but heard its brilliant,. need to get some and try it!! even going by what people on here say means i need to pick a bottle off the shelf at work lol

wouldnt be without it. Have been using it from day one and its awesome.

At night, the rain is almost invisible and you harldy ever need to use your wipers.

Give it a try, you wont regret it.

It is very good, just make sure you follow the application instructions to the letter and it will work brilliantly.

Also wipe some onto the wiper blades as well, it seems to last much longer and is less likely to streak.

but dont use cheapo screenwash at the same time, it just removes the rain-x after a short time, either the little bottles of VW screenwash concentrate, the shell own brand concentrate or the rain-x screen wash addative seem to be fine with it though, putting rain-x on the inside also helps to stop fogging, or you can get rain-x anti fog.

just make sure you follow the application instructions to the letter and it will work brilliantly.

This is MOST true. If you put it on wrong it will just mess everything up including smeared up / misty / foggy unclear windows etc. Make sure your screen in totally clean and dry before you apply it.

Also first time you're driving and it rains, try really had not to watch the rain beading up and shooting up the windscreen :nono:.

It looks like a Sci-Fi warp speed effect but can be distracting at first!! :shock:

Also first time you're driving and it rains, try really had not to watch the rain beading up and shooting up the windscreen :nono:.

It looks like a Sci-Fi warp speed effect but can be distracting at first!! :shock:

PMSL how many times have I done that! :nuts:

Can't rate this stuff highly enough! On my Mk2 Rocco with a single wiper hardly used the wiper at speeds above 40...

On the Rado seems to be 50+ when it starts to really work though. Amazing for side windows/mirrors/lights.

Just make sure all glass is really clean and follow the instructions...

Also great for the winter too as provides a better frost barrier, meaning slightly easier to scrape in the mornings. In Summer the bugs don't stick so readily to the screen either!

Go with the washer fluid tips too, in summer just run plain water with Rain-X in winter use the Rain-x additive.

Yep,

Wouldn't drive a car in the rain without it.......it's brilliant........you can often drive in light rain without wipers, the rain just runs back UP the screen from whence it came !

It's excellent for lights too, they stay much cleaner cause the rain doesn't seem to leave ant muck on them.

I was on the way back from standford hall in May and it was lightly raining. I was doing motorway speeds and i didnt need the wipers on, everyone else had them on :D

It is very good but it doesnt last long so you need to keep re applying. You will find that clean glass actualy offers really good protection from the rain so there is not much need for rain x. By clean I mean washed and then claybar'd. I find the only glass you need protection that rain x offers is on the front windscreen, I use the some screenwash that aldi sell for 89p, it concentrates 1:100 so the 250ml bottle goes a long way. It clears the screen perfectly but the best thing is it leaves protection on the screen, so offers instant beading when you use it. Perfect really as thats when you most need it.

Rain-X lasts ages the only issue is using wipers then it gets worn away. Other than that once a month quick wipe to top up is all that's needed.

TBH this sounds scary but the heavier the rain the better Rain-x works, been down the M40 in torrential rain and no wipers (with Rain-x on my old work's T4 van), could see better than with the wipers on. :shock:

Oh and another trick for stopping misting windows... wipe a cut potato over them... it really works... as does applying a very thin film of washing up liquid to the insides. Both old racer tricks !

Rain-X lasts ages the only issue is using wipers then it gets worn away. Other than that once a month quick wipe to top up is all that's needed.

TBH this sounds scary but the heavier the rain the better Rain-x works, been down the M40 in torrential rain and no wipers (with Rain-x on my old work's T4 van), could see better than with the wipers on. :shock:

Oh and another trick for stopping misting windows... wipe a cut potato over them... it really works... as does applying a very thin film of washing up liquid to the insides. Both old racer tricks !

Knew about the washing up liquid trick. But not the potatoe :lol: ill give that a try. Does the spud smear on the windscreen though?

Knew about the washing up liquid trick. But not the potatoe :lol: ill give that a try. Does the spud smear on the windscreen though?

Yes, but you need to par boil it first. :shrug: (where's the tongue in cheek smiley?)

I got some stuff from Stafford audi for the A2,

its supposed to be for rear screens without the wiper,so I put on all the glass.

Top stuff for £8 and lasts 20,000 miles.

comes with applicator,just follow the destructions :dorky:

I used Rain X on Howard "Monsoon" Moon once, and it did indeed stop him raining down the pain.

ep1_5.jpg

I'm comin atcha like a beam, like a ray... I'm like lightnin, it's frightnin...owwwww chicka chicka

I used Rain X on Howard "Monsoon" Moon once, and it did indeed stop him raining down the pain.

ep1_5.jpg

I'm comin atcha like a beam, like a ray... I'm like lightnin, it's frightnin...owwwww chicka chicka

Brilliant!! :lol: :notworthy: