Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

rear brake splash guard

Hi all,

MORE TROUBLE with the rado.

Heard a knocking noise coming from the rear n/s wheel. Suspected caliper/disc issue as id just changed the discs and pads. Got home and got the wheel off, saw that one of the carrier bolts had come completely out and was missing :shock: The other was still in there. Quick call to the garage and he said he had a spare one, so jumped in the car to go get the bolt fitted. On the way... BANG BANG BANG! the other bolt had come out completely and the rotation of the wheel had dragged the caliper round the disc to the 10 o'clock position :shock: torn all the splash guard and some of that was missing, damaged a pad and also the rubber pipe.

I dont know why this happened, i can only think i didnt tighten the bolts full could have been a foolish and dangerous mistake, yes. But it could have been worse.

So, i know the bolts are available as id just bought some :mad2: and a new brake pipe and pads, thankfully the disc is ok. But what about this splash guard, its not shown on etka, is it still available, part number?

Also how is this bolted on to the hub?

What im more angry about is, if i hadnt tried to go fix the problem it wouldnt have got worse. So im kind of angry with myself for being such an idiot.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Gaz

to get the splash guard off you have to undo the four bolts which hold the stub axle on - see the second pic down in this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70702&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

you'll have to pull the little round metal seal-guard thingy off to get to the bolts, but i wouldn't worry about re-using it or sourcing another one, as if the splash guard is on, then it really doesn't do much provided your seal is in good order.

if i remember correctly then the splash guard sits on top of the stub axle, so you won't actually have to move the stub axle (it will probably remain on the rear beam due to age), the guard or whats left of it should come off after you've undone all 4 bolts. (make sure you have a decent socket on there and it's a good fit as well, as no doubt the bolts are old and you don't want to be playing silly buggers rounding those bolts - that would cause more issues. i ordered some new bolts from the stealers when i did mine)

as for sourcing another splash guard - if vw don't do them then you are best off talking to a breaker. there should be plently of cars with them on as the rear end was similar on golf 2's and passats etc i think...

hope that helps :)

It is on ETKA, not too expensive either... I would renew the stub axle bolts tho too...

Those 8mm allen carrier bolts need to be 65Nm

Cheers guys, that will helpful. Not looking foward to getting some of those bolts off, had nothing but issues with bolts being seized on, recently.

Supercharged, you say it is on etka? Its not on the one i've got. It shows everything other then the splash guard :confused4: do you have a part number for it mate?

thanks

Hi Mate,

Did mine a while back and part numbers are, 191615611D & 191615612B not sure which side is which i'm afraid but am sure this'll help if you order from a dealers. the were less than £10 but that was 3 years ago :|

Paul

Hi Mate,

Did mine a while back and part numbers are, 191615611D & 191615612B not sure which side is which i'm afraid but am sure this'll help if you order from a dealers. the were less than £10 but that was 3 years ago :|

Paul

ah ha, nice one. Ill check it out. Really not looking forward to this HA!

Thanks again,

Gaz

i just took my rear beam to bit and junked my splash guards as im fitting 280 rear brakes, from the group buy, you could of had mine! ah well nevermind. you may want a set of Irwins to take the bolts out of the stub axles/shields. As ive found out with most of the bolts on the corrado, probably do without a socket set all together!

i just took my rear beam to bit and junked my splash guards as im fitting 280 rear brakes, from the group buy, you could of had mine! ah well nevermind. you may want a set of Irwins to take the bolts out of the stub axles/shields. As ive found out with most of the bolts on the corrado, probably do without a socket set all together!

bugger!

got the irwins

Just for info the splash gaurds are on the page with the carriers / calipers... they are about £8 each

I think MK4 ones bend the other way to MK2 so may work with the 280's - about half the price too!