Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Supercharger rebuild "stage"?

Hi all,

I need to have my supercharger rebuilt shortly, and while I know G-Werks are the guys to go for, I was wondering the following:

If I bought a Stage 4 rebuilt charger from Jabbasport, would this still be OK with the existing SNS chip (which I believe is a Stage 5 chip??) or would I need to get a different chip? At the moment the car has a charger rebuilt by PSD with "light porting". Is the "stage" thing just something internal to Jabbasport or does it relate to the chip stage quoted by SNS?

I think the staging part of a rebuild differs from builder to builder, there is no written guide to how much porting produces what stage. if I rebuilt chargers I could do as much porting as a G-werks stage 4 but call it a stage 6, sounds better but does no more than the G-werks. The best bet with chargers is to send it to G-werks, they deal the chips, and have the best rep for rebuilds.

I'm sorry if that is explained badly but I hope it helps

No that's great fella, thanks for the reply.

I'm in a bit of a quandary that I think a lot of people face - the charger needs a rebuild, but I don't have the skills to remove it myself to post it down to G-Werks, and I can't really afford to have the car off the road as it's my daily driver. Going down to see Darren is a bit out of the question as well as it's too far away to make economic sense. So, I was thinking of either buying a refurbished charger then having it swapped out and selling the existing one, or buying a second hand charger and get that rebuilt before swapping it out and selling my old one, if that makes sense.

alexander i can promise you, you will be abke to take the supercharger off yourself ready for post tahe the air box off and the right hand side boost pipe to give yourself a bit off room then get the allen key out and set to work there way even be a wiki on the forum for removal of charger or i remember a matey matey guide somewhere will try find it for you, but i can promise its not as hard as it looks,

will the car run with it removed? i know it can be bypassed whilst it is fitted but the OP needs to drive it as a daily. If you can afford it, having a spare fresh built charger wouldn't be a bad thing though

alexander i can promise you, you will be abke to take the supercharger off yourself ready for post tahe the air box off and the right hand side boost pipe to give yourself a bit off room then get the allen key out and set to work there way even be a wiki on the forum for removal of charger or i remember a matey matey guide somewhere will try find it for you, but i can promise its not as hard as it looks,

Yeah, I've read the matey matey guide and g-werk's own as well, and I've thought about giving it a go, but I just know at the first rounded or seized bolt I find, I'm going to be left with a dead car on my drive until I can get someone to give me a hand! I'm not totally clueless with a spanner, but it's definitely a much bigger job than I've attempted before. In a way I'd rather spend a bit more and save myself the stress, if you know what I mean, which is where getting another charger then swapping them over is a decent idea.

yeah but youve still got to take it off the car so you may as well not waste the extra money

mate if you have some knowledge with a spanner then yu can defo do it get some penetrant spray if your worried a bout bolts seizing and away you go!

im rubbish with cars but the charger was one of the easiest jobs ive done on the G

Or take it to a garage and have it removed so that you can send it to G-Werksand get it re-fitted when it comes back - you could get the garage to get the car mobile without the charger so that you dont have to go without a car.

Yeah I thought about that, but I work out of town, so every time I have to get the car into the garage I have to take time off work, it's a bit of a pain in the 'arris.

I might get stuck in and remove it myself, send it to G-Werks and use the girlfriend's polo for a week or so. That would be the manly thing to do.