Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

What exhaust rubbers do you all use?

Hi all

The old 60 is due to roll this coming week. So I am aware that my Scorpion system was eating rubbers like crazy. So I have just got hold of some poly rings used on a Mk2 Golf. These are indeed tough but not long enough to allow the 1st big silencer to hang its pressed against the floor of the car.

I had to unbolt the brackets n fit the rings and then bolt it all up. Not hard job or anything but they are tougher than they look.

I have read (on the web) some horror stories of poly hangers cusing welds to break n brackets to snap as there is just no give in them.

So the question is what are you all using.... :help:

The items you get from the local place are just not up to the job of the scorpions weight.

ta muchly

standard. Exhaust rubbers definitely should have some give in them. I'm shocked someone even makes uprated ones which are harder - the heat resistance side makes sense though.

what i do is get a big mo fo cable tie and tighten it just enough to support the rubbers been doing this for years and never had a prob with exhausts!

what i do is get a big mo fo cable tie and tighten it just enough to support the rubbers been doing this for years and never had a prob with exhausts!

YES YES the man speaks the truth, better than £10 powerflex hangers...

Seemed to be having this problem with my Scorpion system as well.

I keep spare standard rubber hangers and change them whenever they start cracking.

I've tried shifting and twisting the rear silencers around but no matter what adjustments i make the mounting rubbers always end up being stretched one way or the other.

I guess Scorpion need to revise where they fit the brackets on their silencers.

Fiat Tipo hangers, they have a nylon strap around the outside to stop them stretching just like the cable tie idea^^^^^ , also make sure that when the exhaust is fitted the bottom of the rubbers point toward the front of the car a bit, as when the exhaust gets hot it expands and moves back a bit, if you fit them completely straight they will be stretched backwards when the exhaust heats up and will put extra stress on the rubbers, hangers and manifold.

Seemed to be having this problem with my Scorpion system as well.

I keep spare standard rubber hangers and change them whenever they start cracking.

I've tried shifting and twisting the rear silencers around but no matter what adjustments i make the mounting rubbers always end up being stretched one way or the other.

I guess Scorpion need to revise where they fit the brackets on their silencers.

I would agree.. I love the system and have never had a problem with it but the way its hung or as you say the bracket setup really could do with a revision I think.

I have attached an illustration from the POWERFLEX site.

My standard rubbers are like the EXH 006 model. These are just to small and stretch like hell the moment the exhaust hangs on its own weight. I have fitted the EXH 007 rings but as I said I had to unbolt the brackets from the car floor.

I find its only the heavy silencer that is a problem. Maybe I'll try the cut to fit EXH 010...

The only other way would be to spin on a couple of nuts and then refit the brackets then re-attach everything. This would lower the brackets thereby allowing the silencer to hang on the poly rings. The end result is the same the silencer would hang no lower than it would anyway.

All fun n games

On my mk2 I used C and R reinforced rubbers which have a chain inside them. I think they were around £7 so not as cheap as cable ties.

Those powerflex hangers seem rather pricey to me when compared to the standard pattern hangers at 65 pence and 70 pence each.....lol

Be interested to know how they stand the test of time though.

Tends to be the front hangers on the transverse box and the very rear hanger by the tail pipe that split and break up on mine.

powerflex hangers are rubbish for the money and theyre like £10 each iirc

Mine were about £3 from Stealth mate and they are a fiver in Halfords and I have to say they sorted my TDI exhaust molunting issues and 40k miles later they are still in perfect condition...

I wouldn't use them on a G60 however and they get too hot, even powerflex don't recommend...

The chain ones C&R sell are just Ford oem parts - VW also do some uprated ones which are orange in colour, dealers keep these in stock but only the ones with Van centres as this is what they are for...

My techtonics system only weighs 9kg (compared to the 21kg of the standard system!) so I've stuck with the original hangers and I've put some cable ties round the hangers as people before have suggested. No knocking what-so-ever. :D

Those powerflex hangers seem rather pricey to me when compared to the standard pattern hangers at 65 pence and 70 pence each.....lol

Be interested to know how they stand the test of time though.

mmm, I've got some genuine VW ones that need replacing, the oval ones with the rectangular tab on the end 191 253 147a which are used at the front of the rear silencer x2 and 8A0 253 147A that are used for the mid box and one on the back of the backbox, these ones have the oval lump in the centre to stop banging against the floor of the car.

Now all GSF could offer me was the crappy mk2 ones for light exhausts and ECP have the ones listed about but they're a couple of quid each which means over a tenner on a few exhaust rubbers, seems a lot for what they are, haven't tried VW yet for aprice.

haven't tried VW yet for aprice.

VW hangers are pretty expensive (over £2 each) and no better than pattern ones.

Hmmm Not really getting anywhere fast..

I've tried many versions of hangers and all ended up the same brittle, cracked and split.

There is no way I can use standard hangers with the Scorpion system. Its gets way to hot and its way to heavy.. Plus the way the Scorpion is hung and bracket layout does not lend itself to using standard hangers. Esp on the Tailpipes. Its the large silencer that needs the support.

I shall take a look at the chain based ones n maybe try the VW van versions..

I have used the nylon tie idea before so maybe return to that. :shrug:

GSF also do reinforced ones. I'm not sure in what way they are reinforced but it would be a cheap option.

powerflex hangers are rubbish for the money and theyre like £10 each iirc

Mine were about £3 from Stealth mate and they are a fiver in Halfords and I have to say they sorted my TDI exhaust molunting issues and 40k miles later they are still in perfect condition...

I wouldn't use them on a G60 however and they get too hot, even powerflex don't recommend...

The chain ones C&R sell are just Ford oem parts - VW also do some uprated ones which are orange in colour, dealers keep these in stock but only the ones with Van centres as this is what they are for...

when i bought my milltek, i had some in the box so thought they were the ones recommended. although most of the time it was running on custom hangers (zip ties)

just bought some ECP ones, don't bother, they're a pretty shoddy copy of the VAG ones TBH and 2 quid each :(

haven't tried VW yet for aprice.

VW hangers are pretty expensive (over £2 each) and no better than pattern ones.

Mate i'm sorry but like most things there is a huge difference in the genuine ones Vs the pattern ones, they last ages for a start, the ones on my mums MK3 Golf are still original and showing hardly any signs of wear, I've bought pattern ones and ones from exhaust places before and they have only lasted 2-3 years... I did my G60 ones a few years ago with VW ones and they are still like new.

This pic shows the VAG heavy duty ones next to a standard one, same profile but half the width, seems much stronger tho so less movement and hopefully will take the heat better than a powerflex one would...

Obviously badly fitting and heavy aftermarket systems won't help but these seem to be worth a try...

Hi Mr Super of the charged..

So what are you saying there? That Poly hangers are no good on a g60..? I am aware that the old Stainless gets very hot.. Where did you read that Powerflex don't recommend the use of?

Oh n what constitutes a Van centre? There seems to be a commercial vehicle dealer in trafford park in Manchester.

Ta Muchly

This might seem like a dumb question, but how do you get an existing hanger off the chassis bracket (other than cutting it), then how do you fit a replacement? Is the metal tube supposed to come out?

The hangers for the big silencer mounted at the xle just unbolt. To my suprise the nuts spun off without shearing he stud..Why what do you want to do?

I managed to unbolt the hanger from the chassis and detach the other end from the silencer, but what next? Do I need to get a different type of bracket for the new bush or attach it in some other way?