Sign in to follow this  
loopylindsay

why cant i get 1st and 2nd all the time?

hello

its only started happening reacently but it sometimes finds it hard to go into first and second? its as if it feels like im pushing the gear stick over too far and it gets stuck :shrug: if i put it in neutral giggle it a bit and softly move it it goes in.

any ideas? thought it may of been the slave cilinder or a bolt loose on the selecter but i dont know.

help will be much appreciated

Have you checked for the infamous selector 'circlip' being present?

If loopylindsay says its missing and ive sorted it, Jim you've just won the shortest thread award! :D Bravo!

Certain problems come up so frequently and 90% of the time they are just what they sound like - so I find it easier to give the easiest response first, then let the actual technical people dissect the problem later on if that doesn't look to be the problem ;)

If loopylindsay says its missing and ive sorted it, Jim you've just won the shortest thread award! :D Bravo!

Certain problems come up so frequently and 90% of the time they are just what they sound like - so I find it easier to give the easiest response first, then let the actual technical people dissect the problem later on if that doesn't look to be the problem ;)

Yeah i agree. I can only help on the common problems. Leave the rest to those with more knowledge.

I had the same problem last week. On top of the gearbox where the cables connect from the gear level, there is a small plate with a bolt through it. This can be used to adjust the selector. My bolt came loose and the plate was able to move about on it's own. Get the bolt in the middle of the plate and tighten.

If you have trouble finding it I can take a pic.

cool thanks guys.i have always had a bit of trouble with reverse as in it crunches!(yes i have my foot all the way on the clutch) but if i do it slowly its ok. ill have a look at all those things and hopefully be able to sort it.fingers crossed

wahoo corrado forum are geniuses once again thanks guys it was the circlip and its now fixed and is loads better changing gears. the thing had shattered.

I'm new to the site and forums all together. i just bought a 1992 Corrado SLC for my son and all of a sudden we could not get 1st or 2nd either.

reading this information and joining the site was a godsend of information.

I'm a mechanic by heart and trade (aviation) but was not in touch with VW corrado's.

its like you said, 2 minute adjustment at the gearbox and all is good.

thanks much to all of you for posting your stuff. :clap: