Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Lowering my Corrado - newbie needs advice.

Hello Chaps,

Come November time I have to get my car thru its yearly MOT-style test thing, it seems to be a bit more strict than your average MOT back home and I was told last November that there is a small amount of play in the suspension, but its fine to drive until this November 2008.

So, I'm using this as an excuse to lower the car. Now here lies the problem, I haven't a clue what I'm looking for. Please don't suggest stuff of UK websites as its not really much use to me as I'll have to get it posted to Germany and its a bitch to get the tax (19%) back. If I buy something off-the-shelf here in Germany then I don't have to pay the German tax :clap:

What are the implications of lowering then? I've not got a huge budget, so don't fancy spending £400+ on coilovers when I'm NEVER going to bother changing the ride height.

German roads (shock! horror!) are rather bumpy, especially on their beloved Autobahn, so I don't want something crazy like -80mm, but would -60mm be ok on a Corrado? Or shall I stick with a more 'safe' -40mm?

I'm not too keen on whackin' just some lower springs on the car, I'm after a 'kit' that'll comprise of all the stuff I need.

So, will it cost me bucks to get Volkswagen to fit it? Or am I better off trying get a few of the Volkswagen enthauiasts to help and bung them a crate of beer?

Forgot to add, I'm running standard 205/50 15" tyres on standard ride height.

Anyone ever heard/used these?

http://www.corrado-teile.de/shop/produc ... rrado.html

Here is how the car looks now, will lowering it -40mm actually make much difference?

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Mate - there is a 33 PAGE discussion on suspension. It was created for this very reason so i'd suggest making yourself a cup of tea and having a read on the opinions in there!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39334

There isn't THAT much stuff on the market so you should be able to whittle down what you want fairly quickly then i'm sure we can find out some recommended suppliers in Germany once you've made your mind up.

And regarding the suspension drop - if you get a kit that drops it 40mm, it'll probably sit a bit less than 40mm lower - the springs will have softened over time and the top mounts will be a bit flatter than new ones will be - but it'll definately help eliminate the largeness of those arches!

Hi mate,

I may have a set of FK springs and shockers for sale soon, if youre interested. Though, i am in the UK.

Are they new? How much do they lower by etc etc etc?

From the small amount of research I've done it seems to be a good idea to avoid a company called 'GMax', however Weitec seem to be rated highly and they are about £250 in the UK, slo about £200ish over here in sunny Germany. In particular it seems to be the Weitec Ultra GT[/i] suspension kit - anyone used them?

Bo!

Hi mate,

I may have a set of FK springs and shockers for sale soon, if youre interested. Though, i am in the UK.

Are they new? How much do they lower by etc etc etc?

From the small amount of research I've done it seems to be a good idea to avoid a company called 'GMax', however Weitec seem to be rated highly and they are about £250 in the UK, slo about £200ish over here in sunny Germany. In particular it seems to be the Weitec Ultra GT[/i] suspension kit - anyone used them?

Bo!

No, not new. Just replaced them with some v-maxx coilovers, they seem ok so far. Though harsher then the shocks and springs. The FK shocks and springs have been on the car for about 6 months. They lower the car upto 40mm there is 3-4 grooves on the rears to adjust, but the front are set at -40mm drop (no adjustment)

ive just put on a set of weitec hicon gtn and really like em coilover fronts and adjustable rears on the the spring plate

cost £295 nice ride too firm but not harsh and not bone shaking .

i have a set of weitec lowering springs if your interested 40 mm much better than the std look

pm me if you are

kel