Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Spoiler will only go up in 1 cm intervals?

Ok I have put this in a new thread as I cannot find any knowledge on the forum in past posts about how to fix this?

Anybody had this or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Re:

by Leonard on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Louie Lungbubble wrote:

From the switch, the spoiler goes up a bit, then stops. Wait ten seconds or so, then there's a clicking from the tailgate, and pressing the switch again allows the spoiler to go up a bit more

Mines just started acting up too.

After much messing round getting the g/f to flick the switch while I was round the back end (oo-er) it's doing similar to above.

Keeping the button pressed all the time, it'll raise up a centimeter, spoiler motor will click and stop for exactly 5 seconds. Raise another centimeter. Click & stop, and so on until after about 3 weeks it's at full extension. Same on the way down.

Took it for a blast, and when I got to raise speed it only lifted a single clicks worth (1 cm). Slowed right down to lowering speed and it stayed there. Had to lower it with the button. All very odd.

Not a lubrication issue this, it's as if the motor is running on the intermittent wiper setting.

Anyone had similar probs??

Just spent the last 4 hours stripping my spoiler and motor and now I also have the same problem as the above TBH the motor was pretty immaculate and the cables only a bit gummed up. So this was a problem I had before I stripped everything.

Thanks

Matt

Leonard

:: CF Enthusiast ::

Private message

perhaps you need a new motor for it as they can be funny.

But you can hear the motor working, plus when I stripped it it looked mint. Car has only done 83k.

May investigate that though another thing to cross off..

Think there's a switch or something to stop the motor overloading.. like eletric windows... could be that? :scratch:

Any idea where it is?

That would make sense

Thanks

Matt

spooky, came on here to post up some findings about my spoiler and here is a thread about the very same subject.

i have this issue, spoiler up and down in stages though not all the time - sometimes it was fine. not had the car that long and it was all ok initially. I did some cleaning but it made no difference, after a lot of fiddling I came to the same conclusion you have, i.e. an overload microswitch was kicking in to protect the motor - made sense as it also seemed to be more badly effected on hot days!

anyway for the last few weeks spoiler has been behaving itself - great I thought, spoiler has fixed itself. anyway today i drive it and low and behold spoiler up and down in stages. realised that the only thing that was different was that I had turned off the blower in my car! turned it back on, just to speed 1, and spoiler starts working fine again! this ties in with it working fine for the last weeks too as I've had the fan on to try and cool the engine via the heater matrix as my rad fan was knackered!

so give it a go, go for a drive and make sure you're blower is on! this must surely be coincidence - how the hell the two could be related beats me but considering the nature of the corrado electrical system it is not beyond the bounds of possibility!!

anyway for the last few weeks spoiler has been behaving itself - great I thought, spoiler has fixed itself. anyway today i drive it and low and behold spoiler up and down in stages. realised that the only thing that was different was that I had turned off the blower in my car! turned it back on, just to speed 1, and spoiler starts working fine again! this ties in with it working fine for the last weeks too as I've had the fan on to try and cool the engine via the heater matrix as my rad fan was knackered!

so give it a go, go for a drive and make sure you're blower is on! this must surely be coincidence - how the hell the two could be related beats me but considering the nature of the corrado electrical system it is not beyond the bounds of possibility!!

LOL you made me go out in my lunch hour and try this! :D

Didnt make any difference but I had a bl00dy good blast :norty:

same thing happens with electric windows as well

this is probably a case of needing to take the switch out and clean the connections

i had to do this with my drivers window, the problem was only there when i held the switch to close the window but if i double tapped it the window would go up smoothly

to see if this is the case for you (and if yours still works) go above 45 and see if the spoiler goes up smoothly or you could just clean the switch connections for good measures

same thing happens with electric windows as well

this is probably a case of needing to take the switch out and clean the connections

i had to do this with my drivers window, the problem was only there when i held the switch to close the window but if i double tapped it the window would go up smoothly

to see if this is the case for you (and if yours still works) go above 45 and see if the spoiler goes up smoothly or you could just clean the switch connections for good measures

Spoiler will go up at speed. However again it only goes up in intervals (sometimes not all the way) and down in intervals. Will check the switch and control box connections this evening though

Ta

Matt

Update on this.

I tried a new microswitch and nothing, didnt make any difference.

So plugged in a 'new' spoiler mechanism and that works fine! WOOHOO!!!

So going to swap my mechanisms over and then take a good look as to why my original one is not happy. As I said it was fully cleaned and the motor was spotless. Although I am guessing that it does have to be motor related now. May get a new motor and see.

:wave:

i have the same prob as all of u as well, im hoping i dont need a new motor as cant really afford one atm... i noticed when i took the mechanism apart that there were 2 sort of micro switches that sense weather the spoiler is either up or down. wondering if these switches could be reeking havoc?????

what do u all think???

i have the same prob as all of u as well, im hoping i dont need a new motor as cant really afford one atm... i noticed when i took the mechanism apart that there were 2 sort of micro switches that sense weather the spoiler is either up or down. wondering if these switches could be reeking havoc?????

what do u all think???

Hmmmm I didnt see those. Will have a look when I swap the mechs over. TBH though mate if i was you I think I would just find a second hand spoiler mechanism that is know to be working and put that in. It is such a job taking it out and putting back in that you really only want to do it once!

I bought my mechanism for £15 so its not expensive.

what do u all think???

Hmmmm I didnt see those. Will have a look when I swap the mechs over. TBH though mate if i was you I think I would just find a second hand spoiler mechanism that is know to be working and put that in. It is such a job taking it out and putting back in that you really only want to do it once!

I bought my mechanism for £15 so its not expensive.

i know what u mean and its so annoying when u spend hours on it and it still doesnt work!!! £15 is a good price, i will look out for one. :D