Sign in to follow this  
ANTIHERO

dump valve on Vr6 supercharged?

No - superchargers don't need dump valves because of the way they work.

As far as I know they have to have something to get rid of boost when it isn't being used. I.E driving the car hard and then changing gear. Could be wrong but sure it will need some sort of recirc or dv

There goes 'knowledge on the internet' proving to be horse schitt as usual then! I did a bit of reading up out of sheer curiosity and just about every place I went explained a reason why chargers didn't need waste gates!

Ho hum. I'll go back to computers - something I know about at least!

Yep definately need dump valve, or diverter valve. Think about it, the charger runs off the pullies which turn the charger and suck air in to the throttle boddy. When you throttle off the engine is still turning and sucking in air but it has nowhere to go and so would build up pressure and try to push back through the charger, which could speed up bearing failure etc. The diverter valve sits between the charger and tb to just keep the air circulating through the charger.

If the MAF is still being used on the car then you will need diverter valve not a dump valve as the dump valve would dispose of air thats already been measured by the MAF and so would in turn cause in correct fuelling and generally bad running (been there and got the t-shirt). A diverter valve just diverts the air back round, after the MAF but before the charger so the measured air is still within the system.

There goes 'knowledge on the internet' proving to be horse schitt as usual then! I did a bit of reading up out of sheer curiosity and just about every place I went explained a reason why chargers didn't need waste gates!

Ho hum. I'll go back to computers - something I know about at least!

That's because turbos use Wastegates Jim :D They stop the turbo overboosting itself to death in the same way a rev limiter stops an engine over revving itself to death :)

As Rob says, you do need a recirc or dump valve with Superchargers, well, any petrol forced induction application that has a throttle plate basically because the engine will go from boost to vacuum far quicker than either a turbo or charger can slow down....

I ran a bailey DV26 on my Highline when i was running a ZR2 charger.

I was suffering with compressor stall at high rpms when changing gear, seemed to help the problem....