Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

How did people manage to.....

Remove their front suspension?

The 22mm nut and the 7mm allen key needed is proving difficult. I basically want to know the easiest way of removing the front suspension, because im falling out with my car over this!

The 23mm nut and the 7mm alan key needed is proving difficult. I basically want to know the easiest way of removing the front suspension, because im falling out with my car over this!

Air powered impact gun.

The 23mm nut and the 7mm alan key needed is proving difficult. I basically want to know the easiest way of removing the front suspension, because im falling out with my car over this!

Air powered impact gun.

Might struggle to get hold of one of those

Ive just raided the Draper catalogue and found a 1/2" drive 7mm allen key socket and an extra deep offset 22mm spanner. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ive also decided that payday = BIG tool box!

Yeah get a garage to undo using a windy gun if you can...

If it's the original 21mm nut then a 14mm spark plug socket will do with a 7mm brake allen key - both available from Halfords...

If it's 22mm then lambda probe socket and 6mm brake allen key

just go to a local garage and ask them to "crack" the top nut a bit, other option is to use a drift if proper tools wont shift it, you may also have to have a punch up with the strut leg bolts too :wink:

isn't there two types?

i used a droplink spanner with a big drop, i think i borrowed one off a plumber and i bought an allen key set that fits into a socket and then rachet thing

Air powered impact gun.

Might struggle to get hold of one of those

Ive just raided the Draper catalogue and found a 1/2" drive 7mm allen key socket and an extra deep offset 22mm spanner. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ive also decided that payday = BIG tool box!

didn't read that before i posted above :lol:

that will do it

Grind flats on the socket so you can hold it with the approriate spanner and then use an allen key through the hole.

Grind flats on the socket so you can hold it with the approriate spanner and then use an allen key through the hole.

Or just use big molegrips on the socket!

Need a deep set spanner, itll be long enough too. Also get hold of a allen key with a handle. I got one from motorsave for about 7 quid. Its 7mm. I then pushed on the allen key and bounced on the spanner and in no time at all the nut was loose.

Local draper stockist cant get the parts until next week, so after work tomorrow im doing a tool run around all the local places, i know exactly what i need, just need to find it

What ive done and it works perfectly. Use and allen key then get the corresponding small socket and screwdriver attachment from your socket set on the small end of the allen key. This gives you more leverage to prevent the rod turning.

Or just use big molegrips on the socket!

This is what I've done on a few cars now, always worked for me 8)

^^ Yeh same as, I remember having great difficulty trying to do that job on my first car (an '83 1300 Golf no less) and then the relief of figuring out how to do it!