Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

Cool runnings (in a G60)

I'm not sure but the temp of my engine seems to be a bit on the cool side. What sort of temperature is 'normal'? Say from first morning start, gentle driving on about a 20m min journey. I still get nicely hot air through the vents after about 5 mins.

At the moment with a casual 15 min commute, my coolant temp barely passes 70C (or gets off the end stop) and my oil is up to the low 90s. :grin:

I'll get 35mpg on that run, so only thumping the pedal a couple of times :wink:

I've got a 70C coolant thermostat, but no oil cooler...

What are you getting, and do you have any engine mods?

I would have said 90 or 70, depends on the stat you have really. 20mins is more than enough time to get up to temp.

You should really be getting around 90 deg water temp indicated on a stock G60.

If it is sat excessively low (70 deg after 30 mins for instance) then it is likely that the sender that provides the clocks with the temperature info is breaking down with age. It is the black sensor located next to the blue one and costs around the same.

Yeh i'm gettting barely 70 in about a 35mpg run after about 10-15min too. It's pretty standard engine with just the old chip n pulley, seems pretty warm after though (to touch) so like you say probably the sensor, worth doing a little overhaul anyway change both the temperature sensors and the thermostat see what happens.

Thanks for the input.