Sign in to follow this  
rodenal

Crap Blowers?

Had my 16v for a few weeks now and slowly getting round to a few little problems with it.

One of which is that no matter what speed i select for the blowers not alot of air seems to come out of the dash vents(fan works fine tho i can hear it trying harder as i go from 1-4). I've checked the top vent for the windscreen and it seems ok. Are the blowers just really weak and crap or should i be looking for a fix?

I've considered taking the radio out to have a look at the back of the blowers to make sure the panel that moves is ok but not keen to start stripping the interior without reason

You tried moving the dial to change the direction and see what that does? I.E if you have it just out of the footwell vents do you get loads on 4 but when set to windscreen only a slight puff?

Nick

Nup no matter where i move the dial i dont seem to get loads of air at all - the only place i'd say there is any sort of difference between 1 and 4 is the windscreen, but even that isn't exactly what i'd call a big difference

In that case it would sem likely to be a problem with the fan assembly. Best to first check the vent where it sucks in the air. I'm new to Rados (only got mine last night) so I'm not sure where it is but if it'a like most other 80's dubs it'll be under the windscreen in the scuttle somewhere and be a black plastic vent. Have a poke arounf there and make sure it's not blocked with leaves or anything.

Next step then would be to strip out the lower dash and remove the heater box and blower box and take it apart to see what's going on in there.

Nick

With most corrados you might find its the controls themselves. Another C foible of knackered controls.

If you take out the 3 dials (I unit) you can see straight away if there is any of the plastic bits broken etc

Not difficult to change, but hard to find

Dic

Fairly sure it's not the controls as the fan speeds up but no more air comes out - a blockage sounds like a possibility, although i had a look at the scuttle panel already(albeit in not great light and i only spetn a couple of mins doing so) - but i'll check again in the first instance i think

Read the thread title and thought you were looking for girlfried advise..

Lol! nah crap blowers need not apply for that position

Biters equally unwelcome :tongue:

Worth checking the motor too, it's probably quite old at this stage.

I had one that died and lost all power like that. At first the bearings in the motor started to get noisy, then the fan just got really weak.

20mins work and a replacement fan and it was back to normal.

You tried moving the dial to change the direction and see what that does? I.E if you have it just out of the footwell vents do you get loads on 4 but when set to windscreen only a slight puff?

Nick

Mine works fine on footwell vents but is crap on the windsreen! Dunno y tho???? :? :?

Nick

Mine works fine on footwell vents but is crap on the windsreen! Dunno y tho???? :? :?

Misaligned trunking...probably... time for crash course in Dash removal! ;)

Nick

Misaligned trunking...probably... time for crash course in Dash removal! ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I so dont wanna do that!!lol :( :( :help:

You can get to all the trunking without removing the dash, it's just a bit fiddly! Chances are your directional flaps aren't moving.

Tell me more!!! :D

The cables that move the flaps will not operate if the conduit they travel in has become unclipped from the Distribution Box. If this has happened the conduit moves instead. If you remove the dash under trays and the bits covering the centre you should be able to trace the cables from the controls to where they attach, or not, the Dis. Box. You will also have access to check that the ducting from the fan on the passenger side to Dis Box is not mis-aligned.

The cables that move the flaps will not operate if the conduit they travel in has become unclipped from the Distribution Box. If this has happened the conduit moves instead. If you remove the dash under trays and the bits covering the centre you should be able to trace the cables from the controls to where they attach, or not, the Dis. Box. You will also have access to check that the ducting from the fan on the passenger side to Dis Box is not mis-aligned.

Cool!! I will put that on my TO DO list! :D

Tis a fun job, had the dash undertrays ect to bits recently to remove the "Professionally" installed Stereo (Yes I seemed to have paid some bandit to cable tie stuff to my fuse box! :shock: )

Best advice, get a kneeling pad and a mate, removing front seats will make life a tad easier too!

mine only work on the 4th speed, is that the speed controller on the blower or the switches at fault?

Usually the resistor on the back of the switch - not producing any resistance so only works on full.

I think.

mine works on 1 2 and 3 but not on 4, but then for a few days it worked on 4 for a while, now its stopped again, any ideas?

for some reaons mine started working on number 4 again tonight, hasn;t done for weeks, anyone got any ideas?