Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Charger out, and off to G-Werks!

Well, I took the C round to a mate of mine's place this morning to whip the charger out in order to send it off for a rebuild. I didn't feel confident doing it on my own, and I don't have the tools etc.. (although I plan on rectifying that).

Learned a couple of interesting things - I didn't realise the G-Lader was so easy to remove, we managed it without removing the front grille or driver's side headlight, or removing the sprung strut at all - just compressed it by hand and slipped the belt off. I reckon it took "us" no more than half an hour (to be honest, I was just observing and making wisecracks, my mate was doing most of the work). Also, I learned the car has a cold air feed up from below the fog light, although it had come adrift and wasn't actually going into the airbox, so it'll be interesting to see how much difference that makes when it's properly located.

Then, packaged the supercharger up in about 8 meters of bubble wrap, stuck it in a box with lots of FRAGILE tape and sent it off to see Darren and co. Bad points: I'm without my beloved Corrado for a week or so. Good points: it needs a rebuild, and I'm hoping some of the odd noises I've been getting at partial and full boost will be solved when it's all shiny and back in the car. Fun times!

Hello mate, any other tips to the above?

Replacing mine in the next few weeks, (hopefully), and never done the job before. :pale:

Well, I'm far from an expert, but I would definitely advise soaking the allen bolts on either side of the charger in WD40 the day before, as one of mine was pretty hard to get out. Take out the airbox, and remove the outlet pipework to the intercooler to get it out of the way, then compress the sprung strut to ease the belt off the alternator, which will allow you to take it off the charger pulley. Then it's just four bolts one side, two on the other, undo the 13mm and 14mm banjo bolts for the oil feed and return lines and mine just lifted straight out. To be honest, if you just follow the guide on the G-Werks site you really can't go wrong. I could probably have done it on my own if I'd had decent tools and some more confidence, and I'm a total numpty.

As expected G-Werks were awesome - sent charger off on a friday, it was back a week on monday after, if that makes sense. Looked brand new to be honest! Me and my mate fitted it back in with the minimum of fuss (well, except that we discovered my battery was past it's best, so had to replace that) and I'm back on the road - a fortnight without the C was not pleasant I can tell you!

HOWEVER!

I'm still getting these whistling noises, same as I was before the rebuild and I'm totally at a loss as to what they are, can anyone help with ideas for either of these:

1) High pitched whistle at part boost, like if you dip your toe on the accelerator it will whistle until you push the pedal further, like there's just one area that makes it do it - you can make it go "eeeeeh" "eeeeh" by pressing the accelerator to a certain point and back.

2) At high boost, there's a different high-pitched noise that suddenly appears - this time it sounds like a loud "beeeep" that goes away immediately you ease off the throttle.

Sound #1 sounds a lot like a belt slipping, but the car's had a new charger belt and cambelt this year and tbh it's made both these noises since I bought the car last november. Any other belts that might be doing it? Boost/vacuum leak? Help! Car pulls well and drives just fine, it's just a bit annoying because I'm reluctant to give it too many beans in case noise #2 is something bad, and noise #1 is irritating round town!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's exactly what your charger should sound like with those mods! You should've bought a VR6 instead if you don't like the sexual noises ;)

mine and my mate's g60's both whistle on part boost i thought it was normal (i hope) i think it might be some thing to do with deleted boost return mod not sure though hopefully someone willl say it is you got me worried now

Really? Well if it's supposed to make these noises then wahey! Excellent! The problem is I've never been in, let alone driven another G60 so I really have no idea what they're supposed to sound like.

But, if you learned folks say it's supposed to whistle, then it can whistle away! Cheers ladies and gents! :)

Accelerating slowly up to boost, mine kinda goes "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-woooooooooooooooh-ttssssssssshhhhhhhh" - absolutely love it :D

Hmm see mine doesn't - if you accelerate quickly you don't hear the "eee" as it's only momentary, it just goes "brrrrrrrrmMMMM tsssh"! It's only at about -3psi that the whistle happens, any lower or higher on the boost and it's not there.

I should go for a ride in another G60 to see if it's any different!

Glad you got it sorted Alex, you know you can drive the car without a supercharger right? ;)

prob makes about 65hp! :lol:

Cheers Monkey! Yeah I heard you could, but couldn't be arsed finding a shorter belt, and tbh I've probably saved a few quid in petrol by puttering about in the gf's polo! But now I'm back to terrorise the countryside :norty:

Hmm see mine doesn't - if you accelerate quickly you don't hear the "eee" as it's only momentary, it just goes "brrrrrrrrmMMMM tsssh"! It's only at about -3psi that the whistle happens, any lower or higher on the boost and it's not there.

I should go for a ride in another G60 to see if it's any different!

Mine is the same when accelerating quickly and notice in my reply where I mentioned accelerating slowly that mine does it ;)

Give it a go, I'm sure you'll hear it - mine normally starts to "weeeeeeeeee" around 3600rpm :) :lol:

Ahh brilliant, thanks a lot. Would be interested to know exactly *why* though, if a techie bod is willing to explain?

Good to know I can just enjoy the car now without worrying!

whistling is possibly down to the velocity of the intake air rushing through the pipes and whatnot.

that's some basic (and late night!) thermo for you :nuts:

Aye, the whistle noise comes from the bottom of the throttle body...But it actually eminates from the take off inside where the pipe runs to the carbon cannister.

If you do away with the carbon cannister, and shorten/lenghten the now blocked off pipe on the throttle body, you can actually "tune" the whistle noise dependant on length 8)

Leave it open for full annoying effect! :lol:

All G60's sound different somehow...All unique.

Neil.

Mine makes exact same noises, all part of the G60 Experience ;) it can be more prominent on a cold misty/foggy morning too as the air is much denser to start with and mine actually sounds different, far deeper growl when its cold outside

I had one of those huge Jabba cone filters and isolation panel on my Rallye and all those charger/exhaust noises combined it sounded like a Harrier taking off when you drove it hard! could scare pedestrians stood 100 yards up the road!!!!!!

I love G60`s :) I want an Edition 1

- mine normally starts to "weeeeeeeeee" around 3600rpm :) :lol:

Get it a nappy then! :lol:

Alex good to hear the strange noises are supposed to be there!

Who did the work on the charger before Darren?

Yeah evidently I'm a bit of a girl! But good to know it's doing what it should.

Charger was serviced by PSD last time, G-Werks said it was still in good condition internally 30k later, so they must have done a good job too.

Yeah evidently I'm a bit of a girl!

:scratch: *ahem* ... says you who was told by a girl that your charger noises were normal...