Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Speakers

Right after listening to my brothers stereo in his Saxo (dont ask Ive still yet to convert him *:) ).... I think its now time for some new speakers... Ive a 50W*4 mosfet Pioneer OEL unit in the dash that is cool but need to replace the speakers..........

What size are the speakers in the C ? - they have six I believe and more important how do I get the dash speakers out!!! - they look fun to get at ! *:(

Im assuming the front doors have 5 1/4 inch speakers.. ?

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Scott

I've just spent about a bit on my stereo and am well chuffed with the difference. Your right, there 5" in the doors, then 10cm in the dash and then a pair of 6X4 either side of the parcel shelf.

It's easy to get at the dash speakers, just get a flat head screwdriver and pop them out from the nearest edge(they just clip in and out so don't be scared!).

The set up I have gone for runs everything off my a Rockford Fosgate 500x amp. I've got a set of JBL component speakers upfront, mids in the doors, tweeters mounted on homemade mounts under the dash speaker grills, and the crossover units stashed away behind the footwell air vents. This is then balanced out with a 8" sub in the boot to give quality sound!! The amp sends high freq. to the front, and sends the low freq. to the sub.

One thing I cound do with doing is getting a pair of 6x4 speakers for the back, because at the moment it is apparently lacking a bit of high freq. sound in the back, but hey I don't intend being drivin anywhere in this car so.....unlucky people in the back!!!!!! I don't own a taxi!!!! :lol:

Cheers mate - thats a bit overkill for what I want - I just want to replace the speakers with something powerful so can crank up the stereo without it distorting! *:)

The distortion doesn't come from the speakers being at fault Scott - It's the tiny weeny amp inside your headunit. It's barely putting out 30w RMS and when you turn it up it starts to distort and clip.

Adding even a small amp will improve the sound quality and output no end. I would seriously consider amping your new front speakers and giving them a clean, powerful signal.

The distortion doesn't come from the speakers being at fault Scott - It's the tiny weeny amp inside your headunit. It's barely putting out 30w RMS and when you turn it up it starts to distort and clip.

Adding even a small amp will improve the sound quality and output no end. I would seriously consider amping your new front speakers and giving them a clean, powerful signal.

Hi Chris,

30W RMS is adequate I feel for a car stereo system - heck I have a 30W RMS system at home in the bedroom and thats pretty loud! *:) LOL

But I can hear the passenger side speaker distorting and the cone feels very stiff when you push it in gently so suspect that speaker is blown - hence why Im after new ones.....

I think new speakers should be on the cards first then like you say an amp to drive the front ones...

I have just been given a brand new pair of co-axial alpines - 6.5 inch.... how much hassle is that going to be to get them in the doors or am I better off scraping them and buying correctly sized speakers? - they were free so Im not bothered...

Im not after massively loud - just enough so can crank it up from time to time without distortion!! *:)

I cant spend too much either at moment *:(

Scott