Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

1.8 16v non starter???

Hi all,

A mate I haven't seen in a while has recently purchased a 1.8 16v rado, had it about 3 weeks with no problems.

However, he noticed while driving on several occasions that the car revs seemed to judder and then be fine.

Anyway, his missus went and popped £10 petrol in yesterday and literally as she was pulling into the drive the car juddered and died.

He has changed the fuel filter this morning but still no luck.

You get into the car, press the immobiliser fob against the touch point and put key in ignition. You hear the fuel pump whine, when you turn the key you can hear the car turn over but nothing happens! :o

Any ideas of what to check?

hey, gutting that!!

i would have thought plugs and leads to begin with??

thats where i would have started... but i've not had a corrado too long, so maybe the other guys will know some various things that may solve it for ya!!

good luck with it!!

rob.

Yup, check the plugs + HT leads and the distributor cap + connections to the hall sender / coil etc.

Check for a spark by plugging a spark plug into one of the HT leads and earthing it on the inlet manifold while you turn the engine over.

Less likely but also worth checking: check around the airbox for loose pipes and leaks. And take the top off the box to make sure the fuel regulator flap is moving freely.

ok, lots of stuff mentioned that kind of went over my head :D But thanks, I'll go off and go through my bentley manual now and see how it all works.

One thing I did try, I took the lead that goes from the ignition coil to the dizzy cap off, that does produce a spark.

Anyone know what tools you need to remove the spark plugs as I don't have a spare one lying around? It needs a service anyway so may replace the all the spark plugs. Suggestions on ones to use?

BTW, total mechanical noob, I am just very good at problem solving hence the reason he came to me and the fact I am willing to get my hands dirty!

MNuTs the 16v motor ain't in the Bentley manual, long spark plug socket will be needed and stick with the bosch 4 electrode spark plugs, they're longlife so only need changing every 30,000 miles

ok, just been looking over it.

We have a spark from the lead that connects the ignition coil to the dizzy cap.

Someone told my mate to pull an injector and turn it over which he did, and small squirt of petrol comes out when initially turning over but none after. Is that normal?

Everything around the airbox looks tight.

Took dizzy cap off, everything looks nice and clean inside. although the bit that turns inside (don't you love my tech speak :D ) moves quite slowly.

Obviously can't check the spark plugs yet as I haven't got the tools :(

Not really up on injectors and such, but you would only get a squirt of fuel on the 'suck' stroke :shock: before the squeeze and the bang and the blow :gag:

It should keep pulsing though.............. I think I need to go and lie down before Toad finds this thread :norty:

I trust that wasn't too technical for you :lol: :lol:

The 'slowly turning bit' is the rotor arm :lol:

I don't think the K-jet is advanced enough to have properly pulsed injectors. It's basically a high pressure pump and a valve (the flap in the airbox) that controls fuel flow relative to the airflow.

The injector itself is really only a nozzle to atomise the fuel. But it should be a continuous spray when running, that is drawn into the cylinder when the valve opens for the induction stroke.

ok, popped down to Halfords yesterday and got myself a spark plug tool and 4 spark plugs.

Took the old spark plug out, tested it as mentioned above and no spark. Put new spark plug in lead and tested and no spark.

Put new spark plug in engine and turned engine over, took new spark plug out and you can smell petrol on it.

I decided to fit all new spark plugs now.

I am guess that as there is a spark from the coil lead that attaches to the dizzy cap but nothing coming to the spark plugs its either the dizzy or ignition leads?

I am going to take those off the scrap 1.8 16v I have in my garage and try them tomoz, if I can figure it all out :D

Wish me luck :D

hmm, tried a dizzy cap and ignition leads of my scrap 16v. Nothing.

However while taking the old dizzy cap off I noticed that several surfaces on the lower parts of the engine had a white substance on that kind of looks like crystalised calcium. Checked the water level and the it looks completely empty. Checked the oil and its as clean as a whistle despite standing untouched for over a year!

I am really starting to get stuck now and the worst part is that it appears the most of the tools I did have seem to have gone missing! :(

can you post up any pics? mainly of the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Also, it could be your dizzy itself which is fooked.

the white deposits will be a coolant leak, probably from the flange below the dizzy which has a pipe running to the bulkhead and into the heater matrix on the other side.

Glad the oil is clean, but it shouldn't really get mucky by itself!

Ditto Dec's idea of checking vacuum pipes, they can definitely lead to the car juddering or kangarooing slightly.

Also, check your earth leads when you're doing the ignition system: big one on the battery down to underneath the washer bottle and the ignition coil one which goes to the corner of the block (i think).

Sorry for the delay, seems like all I do is work :(

Haven't taken a pic of the dizzy as I know it works as it comes off a car that does start.

dizzy/rotor arm - bit out of focus

Picture002.jpg

Other general photo's

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... ure003.jpg

As you will see with this one the pipe that leads to the heater matrix has been bent round to bypass the matrix as it needs replacing. I have the part but refuse to put it in a car that won't start :)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... ure005.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... ure006.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... ure007.jpg

And a video of the rotor arm while turning it over:

th_Picture004.jpg

I've checked the pipes and they all seem in good condition and the earth leads are both securely attached. There is also definitely a spark going from the starter coil to the dizzy cap but still nothing from the spark plugs when removed.

hmm, tried a dizzy cap and ignition leads of my scrap 16v. Nothing.:(

Hi

Are both cars KR engine?

If you are getting a spark from the coil to the dizzy and NOT to the plugs, then either the carbon brush is missing from inside the dizzy OR the tip of the rotor arm is not touching the 4 metal contacts inside the dizzy OR all the leads are corroded inside.

Put number one piston at TDC and then check that the rotor arm is pointing to the position of number 1 spark plug lead.

OK, all I can say is "huh?" :D Any chance of explaining that to a simpleton? :D I get the rotor arm to number one lead but its the bit before that I don't quite get.

hmm, tried a dizzy cap and ignition leads of my scrap 16v. Nothing.:(

Hi

Are both cars KR engine?

If you are getting a spark from the coil to the dizzy and NOT to the plugs, then either the carbon brush is missing from inside the dizzy OR the tip of the rotor arm is not touching the 4 metal contacts inside the dizzy OR all the leads are corroded inside.

They are identical 1.8 16v rados, same year as well. The leads are off the other engine as well as I know they work. The only reason I still have the donar rado is because I knew it worked mechanically and I would need parts in order to diagnose other cars :D

So...are you saying that even though you have tried a different dizzy you are still getting no spark at the spark plugs?

You need to take a spark plug out of the head, connect it to it's lead and then get someone to crank the engine over on the starter while you hold the plug against the head or rocker cover (make sure you wear a rubber glove when you do this).

You should see a spark jump between the plug and the head (or rocker cover).

I'll explain what i mean about No.1 at TDC when you confirm if you have a spark at the plug or not.

So...are you saying that even though you have tried a different dizzy you are still getting no spark at the spark plugs?

You need to take a spark plug out of the head, connect it to it's lead and then get someone to crank the engine over on the starter while you hold the plug against the head or rocker cover (make sure you wear a rubber glove when you do this).

You should see a spark jump between the plug and the head (or rocker cover).

I'll explain what i mean about No.1 at TDC when you confirm if you have a spark at the plug or not.

I have taken the lead that goes from the starter coil to the dizzy cap and placed against rocker, I get a spark.

I have tried 2 dizzy caps with 2 different sets of leads with the old and brand new spark plugs and I do not get a spark.

So I am kind of hoping the problem is the dizzy itself, which as soon as I have a spare couple of hours I will be removing from my donor car and trying on this one. IF I can figure out how :D

EDIT: Valerian, that's a really familiar name.....don't you live down by Barnstaple and have/had a really nice 200sx?

Valerian, that's a really familiar name.....don't you live down by Barnstaple and have/had a really nice 200sx?

Yes m8 tiz me

so you got fuel and no spark?

if you got a spare valver swop over the ignition amp its the wafer up by the ECU.

failing that easy fix its probably the dizzy