Sign in to follow this  
homerhobson

splutering over fueling heap

My Vr6 ( golf ) recently started splutering. I did the batery reset thing ( disconnect and re connect a few mins later to see if this would cure it ) and it didnt. The car went from doing 28 mpg to 7 mpg and is burning vast amounts of fuel but it runs and just and so ticks over. Very lumpy. If you disconnect the MAF it will run and will do 22 to 25 mpg but also runs like a bag of you know what. Does this indicate a problem with the MAF or could it be the Lambda sensor. Iv had this running before with out the lambda sensor conneted and it ran quite well apart from it only did 17 mpg. Iv hopefully bought one from james ( thank you v much ) just to try and im also considering also changing the lambda sensor at the same time to eliminate that. The car does have a bolt on chip wired directly into the wiring loom. A quick test i thought was to simply disconnect the chip from the wiring loom ( it has plug ) and let the car revert back to the original ecu but the bloody car wont start when i disconect it. Dont think its plugs or leads because once your above 2000 rpm apart from burning more petrol than esso hold in the hole of the UK the car runs v well. Any recomendations would be most appreciated. and no i cant get it VAG comed i live 70 miles away from the nearest Vag com person. Car is very early 93 VR6 OBD1

Thanks

Ben

My dad had exactly the same problem on his VR6. Turned out the MAF was buggered which caused massive over fuelling and killed the Lambda sensor. So he had to replace both. Now all is well again. 8)