Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

mk4 golf rear caliper types?

just been to VW to order some brake bits, Getting there now :lol: taken ages so far to get this done. I will write it all out into a decent guide when i'm done, with the part numbers, prices, different options etc.

anyway, the chap brought up about 4 or 5 different types of caliper for the mk4 golf and i didn't know which i needed, it was mainly the letter at the end of part number that changed, A, B, C, D etc

also is it true that they use the same discs and pads as the standard vr6 corrado rear brakes? i've already got the discs pads and braided hoses for the standard brakes.

only just considered getting mk4 rears, after getting halfway through refurbing some corrado ones

Know what it's like mate, took me weeks sorting out the exact parts i needed, you'll get there :lol:

Just been to VW today also to order up new splash gaurds (something to add to your list if your fussy :lol: ) and the two I got had differing part numbers, one ending in B and the other in D, i can only assume they are sided, but afaik the calipers aren't.

I bought mine 2nd hand so i don't know the part No.

All Corrado rear brakes have the same Disc and pads unless they have already been upgraded.

Remember new hex bolts that hold the carrier to the hub and also bolts that hold the carrier and caliper together just to add to your list :lol:

One is for vented rears,you just want the standard disc calipers.

Its a great upgrade,no more dodgy calipers/handbrake etc

I think the good ladies have been on 5 years and zero problems.

Used a goodridge mk2-mk4 kit,fitted a new handbrake cable too,

ya dont have to but might as well saves ripping it to bits again.

Its a Top3 thing to do to a Corrado

doing this on my purple one at the moment, you just need to buy some 2nd hand 2wd MK4 golf calipers they are all the same i believe, and some nice brake pads to fit, Ferodo DS2500 are the best it seems....

are the ones on ebay link above ok? they seem a good price for a pair, or are they not proper VW ones?

the part number equivilant is the same except for an "H" in place of the "J"

right, from VW the part numbers given above are £89.99 each

phoned biggred who have a pair, one brand new, one refurbed and thats £156 for the pair

am tempted just to get from VW now, are those numbers definatley correct, as i've already bought discs and pads but they are for standard corrado rears? i got non-vented discs

I know what its like, it took me a whole year to source, clean, paint and install my MK4 Calipers/disks all around with Goodridge hoses.

One thing to note is that you can use your current rear carriers. I made the mistake and sourced rear MK4 carriers and went through all the trouble of cleaning and painting them to find that they didn't fit when it came to do them :?