Sign in to follow this  
lindy33

electronic gear change

hi, im thinking about tyring to make my mid engined corrado gear change electronic as the cable change i have fitted sometimes lets me down, i am wanting to fit some sort of solinoides system to the gearbox shaft and am looking for any info if someone out there has already tried this, so far i cant find anything, one of my mates said he seen someone using starter motor solinoides but cant remember where, any help will be appreciated. cheers

We need to see some pics of your car like now.....

Only system i have seen was on American Hotrod on the Alumatub build they did and thats as much as i know about it.

solenoids would be ok if it has motorcycle style sequential shift, (just click up and down) but no good for a normal gearbox as it would require 3 positions for the longitudinal (front to back) shift and 5 positions for the lateral (side to side) shift, solenoids are just 2 possitions On and Off.

What you would need would either be a pnumatic/hydraulic ram system which would also require a compressor, pipework pressure tank ect..... or an electronic linear actuator system, when i worked for a control panel system company we did look into this for a disabled customer who wanted to convert his classic jag to button shift after his left arm was severed in a sailing accident but he ended up getting an off the shelf system from the states.

We worked out at the time it would cost about £850 to do a basic system for a 5 or 6 speed and reverse shifter but that was about 8 years ago.

hi, iv just finished my gearchange, a computer whizz mate worked out a system with air rams run through a plc and electronic valves , now i have a sequential gear leaver, pull back to go up the gears, forward to go down, i have a air suspension pump which runs 130 psi regulated down to 90 psi for the rams . i still have to use the clutch but then the change is nearly instant, 2nd to 3rd and back again are the slowest which is set at 0.2 secs, only thing is i only have 1sr 2nd 3rd 4th and reverse no 5th but i can live with 140 mph. i will put some pics on in the next few days. cheers