Sign in to follow this  
fla

standard shocks and PI springs - advisable?

I'm going to return my suspension to standard, whilst i get teh shocks issue sorted. Just wondering on the throughts on using the PI springs on the Konis with the original shocks? They're a 40mm drop, springs are brand new and shocks have 50k on them. all the top bushes are new. This will be a temporary fix until i get the new shocks, but knowing my luck this will take a good few months :censored: Or would it be better to stick withthe original springs, although fortunately these have settled a bit so its doesn't look too 4WD.

If the springs are new and the shocks are old, the springs will ruin them imo.

just stick standard springs on for now, I really don't think they're that bad at all!

Also, I don't think that shocks with 50,000 miles on have settled. I think they're just tired mate! Settled is the term for when suspension beds in, not for when it's sagging. :salute:

yeah i'd agree with that. The Plum is on standard suspension but both top mounts have gone and "clunk" over big bumps, the bumpstops have disintegrated, the shocks have probably lost most of their pressure too! :nuts:

The standard springs are surprisingly hard (i thought). I bought a KW suspension set recently on the cheap and the springs are probably half as stiff as standard? I cut my losses and took them down the tip!

Now I have two new VR6 front gas boge shocks, and I've built up the entire strut with standard springs. If I had more money I probably would have gone with the H&R Springs that Supercharged has as he rates them, but money is tight and I really don't think the standard springs are that much of a compromise.

When the Corrado was hailed one of the best handling FWD cars of the 90s, it was on standard suspension after all.

I've jsut swapped my car back to standard (actually still need to do one of the fronts) Looks like its on triple stilts!, but my mum reckons its far better than with the Konis due to all the speedbumps in our area. Hopefully have it finished tomorrow, weather permitting. Whats the best way to set up the alignment and camber when fitting them back?

Its a real shame i think as it looked brilliant on the shocks just drove like total shite, which is what its all about really.

Hi Tom, yeah might do that, i may look at some nice coilies next year, funds permitting. The ride on stanadrd shocks feels veeeeery comfortable indeed, and road noise has also reduced(??) Very smooth and i'm not continually worrying abot little stones in te road that will cause the car to go everywhere. The rear shocks look okay actually, movement is also fine, but i'm not sure about the fronts. Perhaps i just hadnt set them up properly? I might see how i get on with getting the shocks repaired.