Sign in to follow this  
joeshenton

Spring Tops

Hi all,

I fitted my new suspension (KONI springs and dampeners) and bought all new parts detailed on the ETKA system including threaded bush etc etc,

I now have this problem:

The spring tops sit about 15mm above the turrets under the engine bay (see picture)

Is this a problem that anyone else has ever had?

I can't seem to get the tops to sit square and tighten down onto the top of the turret,

I am thinking of getting a bespoke machined part made to replace the (new) spring tops (part5 on ETKA model below) but i dont think this should be necessary, it should fit!

I'm going to get in touch with KONI but wondered if anyone had any advice?

It doesn't look so good and if i go into a big pothole (obviously, I'm avoiding them like the plague) i guess it is dropping back into the turret and dropping the suspension quite hard. not really happy with it and want to get it fixed up so i was thinking of getting my friend to lathe a shorter spring top that will allow me to tighten down to the turret.

could this problem be solved another way or has anyone done anything similar?

The top cap only stops the suspension dropping when the car is off the ground, so im told. When the car is on the ground, the weight of the car will press down the springs anyway, so the top plate has no force on it ie it wont move.

It doesn't look so good and if i go into a big pothole (obviously, I'm avoiding them like the plague) i guess it is dropping back into the turret and dropping the suspension quite hard. not really happy with it and want to get it fixed up so i was thinking of getting my friend to lathe a shorter spring top that will allow me to tighten down to the turret.

could this problem be solved another way or has anyone done anything similar?

You're forgetting the big fat rubber top mount below that plate which will stop any damage from potholes occurring.

You should be happy with it, it's normal. Don't bother getting anyone to lathe anything, it will just mess it all up.

As mentioned before, this is perfectly normal. Jack your car up, let the wheel droop and you'll see the gap disappears.

yes, its normal, a common issue, and happens as the rubber top mount squishes...

but my MOT garage try to fail me on it every year...... i normally persuade them otherwise, but still a complete pain....

pb

Yup normal.

Infact this gap will get wider as the top mounts wear, causing the suspension to sit up furthur into the engine bay (but not by much)