Sign in to follow this  
peppyuk

Steering column bearings

Has anyone replaced the steering column bearings?

AFAIK you can only do this on the rare fixed columns, not the adjustable column fitted to the vast majority of Corrados.

The joint that makes the column adjustable is as big a problem as the bearings though.

try putting it in a different position, the usual location on the adjuster might just be worn, worth a go.

if it moves on all settings then it's likely to be the joint itself and either a second hand column or a fixed polo column and lock with a fixed Corado outer tube (I think about 40 quid from dealers) can be fitted.

You have to take the alloy lock housing off to change the upper column bearing. I can't confirm unfortunately as I binned my adjustable column ages ago.

you can get the lower bearing separately from VW for the fixed column, but I don't think you can get either top or bottom for the adjustable one?

Ok, so after getting the car back and having a look, it's not the bearings it is the adjustable bit. So what parts do I need to put a solid column in? Is it just the shaft and tube? Does anyone have the part numbers of what I need?

If you've got play at the top then the bearing is part of the lock housing, take the cowling off and check the bolt holding it together is not loose, if it is then careful not to overtighten as it's easy to break the housing.

The bearings are ok (badly worded MOT form), the column adjuster has a little play, so I am going to stick a solid column in. Just need to know what parts I need to buy?

This should be most of the info:

535 419 563 housing (mounting tube)

polo column (1995-2000) 535 419 503H

lock barrel 357 905 851D (same as polo 95-00, mk3 golf and passat 88-96)

If you grab a second hand 95-00 polo complete column, lock/housing, tube, then all you should need are a couple of bolts to replace the Corrado shear bolts, the plastic corrado trims (late/early if still available) and the corrado tube.

don't get the polo column with an integrated UJ at the bottom, there's two types, you need the one with the separately bolted on UJ, similar to the corrado one but more flimsily made, obviously you bin that bit anyway.

early dash upper trim 535 953 515

early dash lower trim 535 953 516

OR

late dash upper trim 535 953 515 B

late dash lower trim 535 953 516 B

I have exactly the same problem with mine....the adjustable bit is worn so theres quite a lot of play in the top on one setting but if you move it down a click its much better (Worked for the MOT!).

I've picked up a 2nd hand corrado column with no play in it to replace it.

Looking at the column I picked up it ends in the splined bit which bolts into the first UJ, but the bentley manual seems to have a picture of a spring and a bearing that need to go on the end before its bolted into the UJ.

Seeing as I'm replacing the column, UJ and Subframe/all bushes etc, and have replaced the rack recently too, it makes sense to replace these too...are these available from VW still and does anyone have a part number?

Also is the bearing hard to fit? (i.e. press needed?)

Here's a picture...

SteeringColumn.jpg

Cheers in advance!

Tom :)

Or...is it more likely that the bearing is sitting in up in the steering column tube and I can't see it? :)

I haven't actually taken mine to bits yet, but as I've said before, I think it's only the fixed column that you can replace the bottom bearing on, the adjustable column is a non-service unit, both bottom and top bearing (I think)

Hmm maybe I've just missed it then...does it press right into that tubing? Can probably re-use the old spring i guess.

The bentley manual does give instructions to remove and reinsert it but if its

Cheers! Had another look and the bearing is in there - so just need the spring now! :)

Then maybe the Rado will go where I point it and not where it wants too! :)