Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

Marshole's Rado Saga

Hi there,

so you changed these three sensors?

1250798horrari2.jpg

what was the correct part reference then? 049 919 501?

Do you have aircon?

Wouldn't worry about the MFA reading they do have a tendancy of telling "porkies"... check it against a known amount of fuel instead.

Good news on the fixed Idle issues though! And a cheap fix too!

arnau - yes replaced those 3. no, no aircon in mine. no that wasn't the part number i used either. i'll find one of the old correct sensors and post it up

Ive got a spare battery clamp if you need one?

whereabouts are you mate? what would you want for it? my little bodge is ok for the time being but i wouldn't trust it long term lol

arnau - keep forgetting to look at the old sensors to get that part number - next time i actually go into my garage i'll try to remember to get it....

Hi there,

what was the correct part reference then? 049 919 501?

hey arnau, the part number i used was vw one 027919501 which looked like the middle one :

DSC00916.jpg

with the gsf version (£15 for all 3!) which look like the one on the left in the photo.

hope this has helped

ok, so i have had problems!

since draining the coolant and doing all the bits above i have been experiencing some odd things. the coolant temp light flashes at me and today it stayed on the whole way to work. luckily i didn't fry the engine as i found out that the oil temp and water temp are linked and will be pretty much identical, and the oil temp was 90-100 so a'ok.

but this light was pissing me off and worrying me so did a bit of research asked a few people and most pointed towards naffed thermostat or water pump. i was sure it wasn't the thermo as the prev owner had a new rad and thermo in may this year.

at lunch i messed about with it and ran it with no fan and no header tank cap. it promptly boiled over and spewed about 2 litres of water everywhere. so i topped it up and went back to work being that i only have a short lunch. fingers crossed for the drive home.

on the way home i nailed it, red lined all the way plus getting stuck in traffic all the time, plus some clutch control on a hill and not a sign of the dredded red light!

diagnosis: airlock

tonight i have attempted to remove the clocks to get the temp guage working. got all the plastic off the front but couldn't get to the wires to disconnect them so had to put it all back together!

still, i spent 5 minutes moving the alternator to tighten it up a bit and what great news; it's attached to the power steering belt! and it's made my steering so much lighter!

all in all it's been a good day :)

the alternator isn't attached to the PAS belt mate, they're completely separate.

Big belt goes: Inner crank pulley, inner water pump pulley, alternator.

Small belt goes: Outer crank pulley, outer water pump pulley, PAS pump.

try checking the smaller belt, you should only be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees, that means it's tight.

glad things are getting there though :)

this happend to a friend of mine, and the problem was that the sensors were not VW genuine.... he bought ones called 'FAE' WHICH ARE HOLY SH

the alternator isn't attached to the PAS belt mate, they're completely separate.

Big belt goes: Inner crank pulley, inner water pump pulley, alternator.

Small belt goes: Outer crank pulley, outer water pump pulley, PAS pump.

try checking the smaller belt, you should only be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees, that means it's tight.

glad things are getting there though :)

i was led to believe it was the power steering belt! oh well, the steering was somehow better!! :shrug:

maybe they meant that it was running next to the smaller belt which runs the PAS pump?

new tyres!!! whoop! the previous owner had 185-65-15 on the sebrings! put it in the tyre calc against the correct size and it was 46mm over! so i have technically been speeding the last two weeks :shock:

so i now have some new 195-50s on she drives loads better :)

practically had my own pit crew though....

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

lewis hamilton ain't got nothin' on me :cuckoo:

ebay'd 4-slat coming, 16v grill badge is being hunted for and so are some nice wheels for future car-mendments ;)

quick question though, the indicators in the bumpers - are they orange as standard? mine are clear and i i'm not sure i like them....

learn something every day :) shame - i think orange would look alright lol

anyone know of any companies that will produce 15*8 wheels in 4*100 pcd? scouring the net for some but not having much luck

lack of updates = no money and good running of the car!!! had no problems with her at all since 'removing' the air lock in the coolant system, she's running well and still managing mid-20s mpg even in this cold weather. starts first time too!

drew up a to-do list with 38 items on....only 2 or 3 are urgent, and at least one needs doing before the MOT in Feb.

i've bought a late, 4-slat badged grill but the vw badge has lost all it's shine and needs replacing. am still in search for a 16v badge to complete the look i want. i'll get round to fitting it soon maybe....

next on my list is to weld up a nice big hole caused by the previous owner. i think they must've attempted to jack her up using the floor pan....

pics will follow as soon as i get round to it :)

Hi,

I have a Battery Clamp and Bolt that I cleaned up @ work and then Nickel Plated it - Yours for £5.00 posted if interested?

Ian :D

I may have a front VW badge in good nick if your interested. Let me know and I'll hunt it out.

Colin

yes please mate :) how much do you want for it

instead of actually doing any work on the serious bits i have been faffing about with stuff that didn't "need" doing lol

spraying up some bits and fitting my ipod connection and headunit....pics will follow in a few days

i am planning a re-spray, but being quiet on the colour for now...

can't be bothered to take pics. lol

can't be bothered to update this that often either.

the starter motor decided to pack it in the other day, although now it seems fine so have removed all the connections and cleaned them up and replaced. as it has never happened before and never since i can't tell if it has worked or not....

head gasket gone! dizzy leaking oil! no longer "getting better" as the thread suggests lol

getting the parts today and also a stock zaust to shut her up a little bit :)

will be taking pics for posterity in the coming days :)

well my mates whipped it all off to check the head - no damage to the head which is odd. it's all back together now but losing water through the waterpump :(

whoop! up and running!

replaced the head, spark plugs, dizzy, rotar and cap, waterpump, thermostat, thermostat housing, pas pump, aux belt, pas belt, cam belt and tensioner, all the coolant, air filter, and soon to be the oil, oil filter and maybe oil cooler if i still lose water!

she doesn't seem to be over-heating, or losing water which is ace, the drilled airbox sounds really throaty too :) you do not understand how happy i am right now :luvlove: