Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

Marshole's Rado Saga

.....until last friday..........mot day

story goes, me and my mate kev spent the saturday before welding holes for the MOT. i then spent the thursday night with a pot of p38 and copius amounts of dust making sure that there were no sharp edges where we had welded.

it goes for the MOT and they found another hole! mustv'e happened when we were jacking it up doing the other holes. needless to say it failed and my mechanic also noticed the rear brake flexi hoses were naffed as well so i booked in to have these done.

today come around and i drop her off for the welding, MOT and hoses. welding and MOT goes very well. i can now legally drive her for another 12 months. the hoses were a different storey. once removed, the entire brake line system crumbled and fell apart. queue new brake lines and more flexi hoses.

so, £200 lighter, a lot angrier i clamber in to the seat, get it where i want it and drive. i start to smile again :nuts:

so, £200 lighter, a lot angrier i clamber in to the seat, get it where i want it and drive. i start to smile again :nuts:

You have summed up Corrado ownership very well!

Good to hear that its sorted. :cheers:

.....until last friday..........mot day

story goes, me and my mate kev spent the saturday before welding holes for the MOT. i then spent the thursday night with a pot of p38 and copius amounts of dust making sure that there were no sharp edges where we had welded.

it goes for the MOT and they found another hole! mustv'e happened when we were jacking it up doing the other holes. needless to say it failed and my mechanic also noticed the rear brake flexi hoses were naffed as well so i booked in to have these done.

today come around and i drop her off for the welding, MOT and hoses. welding and MOT goes very well. i can now legally drive her for another 12 months. the hoses were a different storey. once removed, the entire brake line system crumbled and fell apart. queue new brake lines and more flexi hoses.

wellcome to corrado ownership :wave:

^^^this is what everyone says^^^

i'm hoping that this is it now and i can concentrate on the little things like window motors and such.

i'll clean her and get pics up...one day...

I may have a front VW badge in good nick if your interested. Let me know and I'll hunt it out.

Colin

yes please mate :) how much do you want for it

Sorry mate somehow this thread stopped hitting my e.mail radar, I photographed the badge and then never posted back!

Anyhow how about £10 posted?vw badge (Large).jpg[/attachment:2nfffc2u]

Colin

I may have a front VW badge in good nick if your interested. Let me know and I'll hunt it out.

Colin

yes please mate :) how much do you want for it

Sorry mate somehow this thread stopped hitting my e.mail radar, I photographed the badge and then never posted back!

Anyhow how about £10 posted?vw badge (Large).jpg[/attachment:15rotovg]

Colin

ah cheers but we got crossed wires! needed the red 16v badge for the 4 slat grill! don't suppose you have one do you?

right..pics of the MOT work then! this is all what my mate Kev did for me while i watched and brought him tea ;)

nsf, jacking point

DSC01034-1.jpg

nsr, where sill joins side skirt

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

osf, base of wheel arch

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

so we cut it all off with a rather large 10" grinder! awesome bit of kit.

nsf, some of the jacking point has been chopped, but none of the sill box-section has been compromised

DSC01062.jpg

nsr, Kev at work, and the neat hole afterwards

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

then the welding began :) this was not fun....having to lie on your back, squeezed under a propped up rado with a welding gun 4" from your face. nice. but came out ok, although we blew through in a few areas :ignore:

DSC01069.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

then my lame attempt at filler :) actually, i'm strangely proud of my first attempt. considering it was in the dark and snow with a small electric heater i think it came out ok....

IMG_0952.jpg

although from this angle...

IMG_0953.jpg

haha oh well. when summer rolls around it'll re-do it and paint it in the right colour :)

oli

friday night i got crashed into by some n0b-end in a nicked car - joy of joys.

does anyone have a complete drivers door for sale pleas? there is a wanted post up also in the correct section - just trying to get the most coverage possible :nuts:

got a door! it's blue but this is only serving to make me want to do a rattle-can respray :) when the missus goes to glasto for the weekend i will be up nice and early painting the ol' girl :)

will keep you lot posted :)

wow it's been ages since i logged in. here's some pics of the crash site that was my joy rider nightmare lol

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

just check out how far this poor micra shifted from it's space!!!

DSC01134.jpg

the person responsible hit the pug, shifted it into the micra which shifted into my door. the door was dented in about 3-4" so to move 2 cars and do that damage to a third it must've been travelling!

so i fitted a new door:

had to cut away near the handle to get the handle out and door open. once done it wasn't a hard task though

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

Poor old Rado.. looks like it's taking a beating but still soldiering on! Nice work!

it's getting there! it'been a hard old slog, from the over heating, the head gaskett, the water pump, the MOT and welding, then the door!

i'll keep going though, i have long term plans so i need to get it running nice first :)

speaking of which i have now managed to wire up the driver's electric window - it looks like a retrofit kit so i couldn't find a diagram anywhere! luckily i have clever friends! passenger switches to do this weekend, then i can concentrate on other electrical/mechanical issues.

the poor ol' girl will be looking sorry for herself for a while but at least will be running sweet for an 18 yr old :)

well well 5 months since the last update! sorry, i'm sure the comedy that is my life has been missed by all.

so, when last i posted i had just fitted the new door and managed to get the electric window up and working. this was only because i stupidly just cut the window loom in my haste to remove the old door. still, it's all go now.

over the past few months i haven't done much due to buying a house, but now that is settling down i have a few more things up my sleeve.

Took her to Stealth over in Southam and they tuned her on the rollers - was running lean and the timing was waaaaaaaay off. they retarded the timing and fuelled her up right and i got a healthy 143bhp :) not bad for an ol' girl with just a stainless on :) that was about 2 months ago, and since then she hasn't missed a beat.

i've done a few little bits like oil change and new starter but that's it until this week.

last night i successfully built the loom and re-wired the dipped beams to try to get some good output. not tested in the dark yet, but they do work, so hopefully i won;t need my main beams to see anymore! if anyone wants a diagram or part numbers etc on this then let me know and i'll see what i can dig up - i used matey-matey and it was really easy to follow.

tonight i am taking delivery of yet another door :) the passenger window seal is bent and has scratched the glass badly and burnt out the motor, so rather than buying glass, motor and seal i plumped for a whole door. different colour i don't care as i have paint plans.

oh, and i have a full OE exhaust coming my way, so any fans of twin upswept DTM style ss system drop me a PM and the current one is yours :)

i'll try to get pics up but i honestly don't have any lol the real fun will start when i get to prep and paint ;)

just replaced my staklks as the indicator sticks and the hazard light on the trip side was smashed up. but now i've swapped them over and plugged it all back in i'm not getting a temp reading on oil temp, and the atmosphere temp is showing as -40...i know it's cold but that's not right. i'm almost certain....

any ideas?

i know this won't be to everyone's tastes but....

i had numerous rust patches, a blue door and a bad colour match at the front end so i've started something drastic...

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

yup, shame to lose the great colour but i just can't afford a full re-spray and she looked so tatty i was starting to lose faith in the whole thing. i know some of you won't like where this is going but all comments are welcome.

i'll be on the lookout for some 15*7.5 or 8s or some 16*7.5 or 8s wheels very shortly so if anyone has any then drop me a PM

cheers

oli

few more pics of the progress so far. nothing major since the above but my life aint just about cars :(

DSC01480.jpg

DSC01481.jpg

and i got some new wheels, still 15s but a llittle wider with a lower offset so a llittle better stance. need to go lower and/or get 195/50 s rather than the 195/45 that are on there.

DSC01486.jpg

oli