Sign in to follow this  
fla

VR serp belt squeak

the cutting out might be totally unrelated - perhaps the throttle body slamming shut too quickly, or a relay playing up.

Well all has been fine until today. Drove to work fine (maybe temps a bit high but that's another story!) and pulling into the car park the power steering went again and and stalled (this could have been my fault through the shock of the power steering going and looking at the battery warning light). The car started again fine with no light and the power steering working. I am a bit confused because I popped the bonnet and the tensioner and belt looked OK...but I did only glance cos I was running late for work.

Can anyone suggest anything? The tensioner pulley I replaced was in pieces (just the plastic bit) so maybe it has affected one of the other pulleys or something. I haven't done many miles since I changed it all (because I'm paranoid) but have had no problems.

Think I am probably best getting it to a garage and maybe having vac-com and an expert eye. Any suggestions from the forum?

very much doubt it'll be related. if you take the belt off a vr6 it doesnt stop the engine running. to put it simply,

you have an alternator - this keeps the battery charged (unless battery is dead, the engine will continue to run with or without this)

power steering pump - this is not essential for the engine to run. but on idle revs, if you turn the wheel it can sometimes cause the revs to drop off but the knock sensors would catch this.

water pump - this is not essential for the engine to run, lol, but you definately need it!

Tensioner - is in the name.

i would almost certainly say you have another issue here. doesnt sound like a big one tbh :)

i would agree with fla, check those things, i wouldnt waste your time worrying about the belt.

Cheers lads!

I would be fine if this didn't happen but it has got me paranoid now. The fact that the 3rd fan speed kicks in sometimes when the temp is normal (water about 90 and oil about 100-105) has got me worrying too. I'm assuming it is the 3rd fan speed as it is bloody loud! That's another issue so I'm just gonna get it hooked to a vag-com and a full check-up...then I can chill and open her up a bit!

I can't help with your issues but I think you've got a good car there (I was interested but you beat me to it). Stick with it mate.

Well all has been fine until today. Drove to work fine (maybe temps a bit high but that's another story!) and pulling into the car park the power steering went again and and stalled (this could have been my fault through the shock of the power steering going and looking at the battery warning light). The car started again fine with no light and the power steering working. I am a bit confused because I popped the bonnet and the tensioner and belt looked OK...but I did only glance cos I was running late for work.

Can anyone suggest anything? The tensioner pulley I replaced was in pieces (just the plastic bit) so maybe it has affected one of the other pulleys or something. I haven't done many miles since I changed it all (because I'm paranoid) but have had no problems.

Think I am probably best getting it to a garage and maybe having vac-com and an expert eye. Any suggestions from the forum?

Sounds like you might have the very common VR6 stalling problem.(search the forum for it and you'll find lots of advice)

Mine has done this (only when engine is hot) since I bought it but it got really bad last year when it would quietly stall at almost every junction. Stealth racing sorted it last time I took it up there by slightly increasing the throtle angle at idle.

It seems like the power steering goes but in reality it stalls so quietly that you simply notice the steering getting heavy before noticing that the engine has stopped. I'm sure someone else with more technical knowledge will be able to tell you exactly why this happens (or correct me) but the way I understand it the engine management, for some reason, cant keep up with the change in engine speed and doesnt get enough air into the engine as it drops to idle speed.

If this is the problem then the following might solve it;

Check for cracks/leaks in the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body
    ISV may be sticking - try cleaning it out with carb cleaner (remember to lubricate it after with WD40)
    If ISV is faulty you could replace it but the price is ridiculous, the alternantive is to do what stealth did to mine (see above).
    If that doesn't work the next step that stealth suggested was to remap the ECU with a slightly higher idle speed, this will trick the ISV to sit at a different angle at idle.
    Some people suggest that the MAF could be the problem, there are some posts that suggest cleaning the wire inside with contact cleaner spay.

I wouldn't go buying MAF's or ISV's unless you know for definate that it is the problem though, as with most VR6 issues you could spend a lot of money and be no better off for it. If you know someone who has a VR6 with no stalling problems you could try swapping MAF or ISV for a bit and see if the problem goes away.

Hope this helps

Cheers GusPW. If the garage I'm taking it to tomorrow is any good they should hopefully know all this. Good for me to have as ammunition anyway! This hasn't happened again so I'm not too worried now. Think I will focus on the steering noise I'm having (CV probably) and the fans for now...just make sure it's all as VW intended.