Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

Car Steering Wheel - Airbag...

How does an airbag work in a car steering wheel ? Is everything required for the activation self enclosed with in the centre of the wheel or does it require some sort of computer gizmo within the car for it to be activated.

If everything you require for it to be activated is self contained within the wheel is there anything stopping you putting a recent steering wheel on a pre 90's car as long as the splines and fixing arrangement to the steering column is compatible. And would it activate if you had a bump. I assume you require crash sensors placed at various points within the car

There is a separate ECU thats has a stell ball inside that upone imact sets the ball off and the bag(s) fires,thats the early type,now you have S.I.P.S (side impact protection sensors) and F.I.P.S( front impact side protection sensors) for the later cars.

You could retro fit the system but why? ,you will need to know volume of air for the bag,crumple disintorgation etc......

so to sum it up um....No,just wear a crash helmet :tongue: