Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

over-heating valver?

help meee!

after sorting out the idle issue and re-filling the coolant the coolant temp light comes on permanently after about 20-30mins driving/sitting in traffic. as i understand it, this means either the coolant is too hot, or there isn't enough. so i look and the header tank is at max.

i've ran it with no fan on and no header cap and it just bubbled over, i have since topped it up and pluggedthe fan in. i'm yet to try it on the way home tonight.

other than an air-lock (which i am praying for) could it be thermostat? water pump?

anything else you lot can give me to try before having to replace more bits?

sounds like exactly what happened to mine.

What is the temp guage on the dash telling you? if it's sat on 70 then it's broken, and you should check the oil temp in the MFA stalk. Mine peaked at 128 (oil) when my pump died.

the system will begin to pressurise so if you have an air lock somewhere then the tank will bubble over a bit, but it has an overflow valve for precisely that.

try pumping the top and bottom rad hoses by hand with the engine cold and see if the tank coolant level goes down a lot, it should move a little bit hopefully.

if it continues to happen you should pull the pump and have a look.

i dont have a gauge at the mo! it doesn't register anything so need to check the connections first. if it sits at 10 what is wrong exactly? the thermostat? i have just replaced all the coolant sensors with 120degree ones from gsf so should all be ok.

i was pumping the hoses when it was in the process of warming up and the level was indeed moving. the oil temp stays around 102 in traffic and when driving on a relaxed run sits at about 84-94

you can't diagnose a dead thermostat from a broken temperature gauge :nuts: If you've changed all the sensors and the guage is still dead then you have a wiring problem.

that sounds like normall running to me, mine doesn't pass 104 tops now that it's all working properly. must be an air lock because the sandwich plate that the oil filter screws into means that when the water temp goes up a lot the oil will normally do the same thing.

this is slightly good news :) however, i will need to sort the clocks out - i'm hoping that it's the witred connecting into the clock and i can just sort that easy.....

just worried to drive it in case i fry it, but i need it to get to work :(

yeah it's worrying for sure, that kind of thing can warp the head if you're not careful.

i'd jump on the bike if you can! That's what I do.

It's really nice in the winter. Love it :| :| :|

haha no chance - i can't cycle 2 miles let alone 7! check out my newbie thread for how this turned out - i'll give you a clue...it went well ;)