Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Doing an oil change...confusion over which oil.

Hi chaps,

Either tomorrow or Sunday I'm going to be doing an oil change on the Corrado, I've got some engine flush stuff to whack in the engine before hand...and now there is the oil choice.

Firstly I was going to chuck in any old Castrol 10/40 stuff, however on the Castrol website it recommends Castrol 'Edge' 5/30, but surely thats too thin?

I've also had Castrol 'Edge' Sport 10/60, recommended to me personally, but its TWICE the price of the normal stuff, am I really going to notice the difference? Its it going to help my engine TWICE as much as any 'normal' Castrol stuff?

I tried the Volkswagen dealership, but they don't do the Silver Synta (sp??) stuff that I normally used in my Mk1/Mk2 Golfs.

Any help and I'd be grateful chaps.

You back in blighty dude or still in Germany?

If in the tax haven that is the Uk nip down to GSf and get some Fuchs Titan 5w/40 fully synthetic, about 15 quid for 4 litre's.

Basically any semi synthetic or fully synthetic thats 5W/40 is fine, temps are coming down a bit now so 10W/60 is still ok but you might find the tappets will rattle a bit longer than normal on the cold mornings!

GSF sell Fuchs, 10-40W is teh stuff for VRs

Aparrently it is the stuff that VW fill the new cars with these days.

Ive used it the last 2 services in mine and it seems ok.

about 20 quid a 5litre drum.

Not back in the UK, still hanging out with zeee Germans.

I can't order GSF stuff over here, but I might have a look for this Fuch's stuff tomorrow at the usual places over here. The Germans have some proper random types of oil from when I last had a brief look.

Basically any semi synthetic or fully synthetic thats 5W/40 is fine, temps are coming down a bit now so 10W/60 is still ok but you might find the tappets will rattle a bit longer than normal on the cold mornings!

Got some Mobile 1 5W/40 today, ended up getting 70 litres for just less than €70 (£54.47). Whats the difference between this and some normal bog standard 10w/40? The '10' relates to the thickness when hot, right? The '40' relates to the thickness when cold?! :gag:

First number is the cold viscosity,second is hot.

5w40 is fine.

40 weight is what Vw recommend for the VR anyhow.

:censored: :brickwall: :censored:

Well, I don't remember the oil change on the Mk2 Golf I used to have being this hard, I didn't have the correct tool to undo the plastic housing where thats contains the oil filter. Not best pleased. Will have to see if I can blag a big ass spanner tomorrow.